CMI works with dozens of partners to discover the materials, processes, and technologies necessary to address critical material supply chain challenges.
CMI is a public/private partnership that brings together the best and brightest research minds from universities, national laboratories and the private sector to find innovative technology solutions that will help avoid a supply shortage that would threaten our clean energy industry as well as our security interests.
CMI Team Members:
- Industry: Advanced Magnet Lab (AML), All American Lithium, American Manganese, Arnold Magnetic Technologies, Big Blue Technologies, BorgWarner, Eck, EEC, Electra Battery Materials, Emrgy, Energy Fuels Resources USA, Exergy Systems Inc., First Solar, Heritage Battery Recycling, Irish Metals, Jervois Mining, Lithos Industries LLC, Lixivia, Marshallton Research Laboratories, Mercury Marine, Momentum Technologies, OLI Systems, Piedmont Lithium Limited, Powdermet, REQYRD, Retriev Technologies, Rio Tinto, Seegence Holdings LLC, Shiloh Industries, Solvay, Spiers New Technologies, TdVib, Terves, US Borax, Western Digital and Western Rare Earths
- Universities: Arizona State University, Case Western Reserve University, Colorado School of Mines, FIPR Institute, Idaho State University, Iowa State University, Missouri S&T, Pennsylvania State University, Purdue University, Rutgers, University of Arizona, University of California-Davis, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, Wayne State University and Worcester Polytechnic University
- National Laboratories: Ames Laboratory, Idaho National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and Oak Ridge National Laboratory
CMI Team Members have research subcontracts from CMI or are providing cost sharing funds. Requirements include specific research project deliverables within the entity's areas of expertise, based on a scope of work and a negotiated budget, including cost-share as applicable, as approved by the CMI Director. This level of participation is required to sign CMI's Master Non-disclosure Agreement and the Intellectual Property Management Plan (IPMP).
For more information:
- Other levels of participation are available. These include CMI Affiliates.
- Learn about CMI and partnering with industry in our video.
- Contact us via e-mail to CMIaffiliates@ameslab.gov or mail to CMI Affiliates Membership, The Ames Laboratory, 306 TASF, 2408 Pammel Drive, Ames, IA, 50011-1015
Ames Laboratory produced this video about "Tough SmCo," which was developed at Ames Laboratory with industry partner Energy Electron Corporation and won a 2021 R&D 100 Award.