CMI researchers at Ames Laboratory conducted the research for this highlight.
Microstructural modeling has revealed an optimum concentration of a strengthening phase necessary for enhanced mechanical properties. Our results show that addition of MgO beyond 0.5 – 1 vol.% becomes detrimental to the mechanical properties of Sm-Co.
Significance and impact
- Using less amount of MgO will enable enhancement in mechanical properties without substantially diluting magnetic performance.
- This result can guide experimental team in the new effort to use MgO for strengthening fracture toughness of Sm-Co and reduce wastes during processing and service.
- Understand the role of grain size on the optimum MgO concentration.
- Perform computational microstructure design to simultaneously achieve high performance in both magnetic and mechanical properties.
- Extend the work to Nd-Fe-B.