CMI researchers at Ames National Laboratory conducted the research for this highlight
A Hybrid Rotor Multiple Magnets (HRMM) design is proposed to reduce the use of rare earth elements in electric vehicles, while maintaining comparable performance with a commercial design.
- Substitutes 50% of Nd-Fe-B magnet in 2010 Toyota Prius with ferrite magnet.
- Maintains comparable speed-torque characteristics with original Prius 2010 design.
- HRMM offers a higher torque/$, compared to the original design.
Significance and impact
- Addresses potential shortages in critical rare earths.
- Enables sustainable vehicle electrification.
Hub Goal Addressed
Reduction of critical RE magnets usage in EV motors.