CMI scientists at Ames Laboratory conducted this research.
High-throughput (HiTp) synthesis and rapid characterization was used to identify permanent magnet alloy compositions with decreased critical material content
Significance and impact
- Domestic RE deposits have large amounts of Ce/La-rich mischmetal that is much cheaper than separated Nd and Dy. mischmetal based magnets usually show poor properties (e.g., low Tc)
- HiTp synthesis using LENS has allowed rapid identification of potential mischmetal based magnet alloys. Alloys prepared by melt-spinning show enhanced Tc of ~475°C, with Hc~ 5kOe and (BH)max~10 MGOe
- Mischmetal is unseparated RE elements that consists of mostly Ce and La
- Could reduce Nd and Dy usage, but typically has low Tc
- Using HiTp additive manufacturing synthesis, we identified compositions with high Tc ( ~ 475 °C), while minimizing Nd and Co contents