CMI scientists at Ames Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Eck Industries Inc. contributed to this research.
- Key commercial milestone passed: compositions of CMI’s Al-Ce based alloys have been accorded official designations by The Aluminum Association, opening the door to global industrial applications.
- Received TechConnect 2019 Innovation Award in the TechConnect World Innovation Conference and Expo.
Significance and impact
- Industry can now produce the alloys using the designations and invoking CMI commercialization
- Based on its unique microstructure and resulting properties, the alloy has multiple energy-saving large-scale applications in transportation
- Increased market demand for Ce will drive production of the critical rare earths needed for magnets
- The AA designations require commercial transactions of feedstock and availability for sales in the marketplace, a milestone toward CMI’s moonshot in developing large-scale applications for Ce