Dr. Andreja Bakac
Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Adjunct Professor, Iowa State University
29 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-3544
- Chemical kinetics
- Mechanisms of inorganic and organometallic reactions
- Activation of oxygen with transition metal complexes
- Catalytic oxidations
- Chemistry of reactive intermediates, free radicals and excited states
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- 1976-1979, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Ames Laboratory
- Ph.D. 1976, University of Zagreb
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2005-present, Adjunct Professor, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 2000-present, Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990, Temporary Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 1984-2000, Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1981-1984, Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1979-1981, Assistant Scientist II, Ames Laboratory
- Visiting Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993:
- Visiting scientist, Tohoku University, Sendai, 1988 and 1990.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- Special Creativity Award, National Science Foundation, 2008.
- Professional and Scientific Excellence Award, Iowa State University, 1992.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2014Carraher J M; Ellern A; Bakac A . 2014. Preparation and reactivity of macrocyclic rhodium(III) alkyl complexes. Inorganica Chimica Acta. 409:254-258.
2013Carraher J M; Bakac A . 2013. Alkyl group versus hydrogen atom transfer from metal alkyls to macrocyclic rhodium complexes. Chemical Communications. 49:6099-6101.
Bakac A; Pestovsky O; Durfey B L; Kristian K E . 2013. Kinetics and thermodynamics of nitric oxide binding to transition metal complexes. Relationship to dioxygen binding. Chemical Science. 4:2185-2192.
2012Jana B; Hovey M; Ellern A; Pestovsky O; Sadow A D; Bakac A . 2012. Unusual structural motif in a zwitterionic Fe(II) complex of a tetradentate phosphine. Dalton Transactions. 41:12781-12785.
Carraher J M; Pestovsky O; Bakac A . 2012. Transition metal ion-assisted photochemical generation of alkyl halides and hydrocarbons from carboxylic acids. Dalton Transactions. 41:5974-5980.
Bataineh H; Pestovsky O; Bakac A . 2012. pH-induced mechanistic changeover from hydroxyl radicals to iron(IV) in the Fenton reaction. Chemical Science. 3:1594-1599.
Alvarado S R; Guo Y J; Ruberu T P A; Bakac A; Vela J . 2012. Photochemical versus Thermal Synthesis of Cobalt Oxyhydroxide Nanocrystals. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116:10382-10389.
2011Szajna-Fuller E; Bakac A . 2011. Kinetics and mechanism of the reduction of a macrocyclic Rh(III) complex by chromium(II) ions: pH-controlled selectivity to rhodium(II) vs. rhodium(III) hydride. Dalton Transactions. 40:10598-10602.
Jana B; Ellern A; Pestovsky O; Sadow A; Bakac A . 2011. Synthesis of Monomeric Fe(II) and Ru(II) Complexes of Tetradentate Phosphines. Inorganic Chemistry. 50:3010-3016.
Pestovsky O; Veysey S W; Bakac A . 2011. Kinetics and Mechanism of Hydrogen-Atom Abstraction from Rhodium Hydrides by Alkyl Radicals in Aqueous Solutions. Chemistry-A European Journal. 17:4518-4522.