The MPC specializes in the preparation, purification, and fabrication of high-purity rare earth metals, refractory metals, alkaline earth metals, and alloys in single and polycrystalline forms. Utilizing a core staff consisting of three research scientists and three technicians, this section prepares unique materials with a variety of techniques. Facilities exist for the preparation and purification of metals and alloys including:
- Distillation and electrotransport purification
- Non-consumable and consumable arc casting (view video)
- Several configurations of induction and resistance furnaces with controlled atmosphere capabilities including chill casting.
- Special alloy ingots preparations from several grams to 25 kg can be prepared under controlled conditions to maintain purity and compositional control. Fabrication equipment includes:
- 100-ton 12" rolling mill (rod and flat rolling)
- 6" rolling mill
- 5 rotary die swaging machines (1" - 0.014")
- 12.5-ton 10' and 1.2-ton 8' hydraulic wire drawing benches
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.