Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2014Lu P; Zhou L; Kramer M J; Smith D J . 2014. Atomic-scale Chemical Imaging and Quantification of Metallic Alloy Structures by Energy-Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy. Scientific Reports. 4:3945.
Zhang F; Mendelev M I; Zhang Y; Wang C Z; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2014. Effects of sub-T-g annealing on Cu64.5Zr35.5 glasses: A molecular dynamics study. Applied Physics Letters. 104:061905.
Cui J; Choi J P; Li G; Polikarpov E; Darsell J; Overman N; Olszta M; Schreiber D; Bowden M; Droubay T; Kramer M J; Zarkevich N A; Wang L L; Johnson D D; Marinescu M; Takeuchi I; Huang Q Z; Wu H; Reeve H; Vuong N V; Liu J P . 2014. Thermal stability of MnBi magnetic materials. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 26:064212.
Zhao X; Nguyen M C; Zhang W Y; Wang C Z; Kramer M J; Sellmyer D J; Li X Z; Zhang F; Ke L Q; Antropov V P; Ho K M . 2014. Exploring the Structural Complexity of Intermetallic Compounds by an Adaptive Genetic Algorithm. Physical Review Letters. 112:045502.
2013Mukherjee P; Jiang X J; Wu Y Q; Kramer M J; Shield J E . 2013. Nucleation-Suppressed Phase Stabilization in Fe-Au Nanoparticles. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 117:24071-24078.
Yu Y S; Sun K W; Tian Y; Li X Z; Kramer M J; Sellmyer D J; Shield J E; Sun S H . 2013. One-Pot Synthesis of Urchin-like FePd-Fe3O4 and Their Conversion into Exchange-Coupled L1(0)-FePd-Fe Nanocomposite Magnets. Nano Letters. 13:4975-4979.
Palasyuk A; Blomberg E; Prozorov R; Yue L; Kramer M J; McCallum R W; Anderson I E; Constantinides S . 2013. Advances in Characterization of Non-Rare-Earth Permanent Magnets: Exploring Commercial Alnico Grades 5-7 and 9. JOM. 65:862-869.
Xing Q; Miller M K; Zhou L; Dillon H M; McCallum R W; Anderson I E; Constantinides S; Kramer M J . 2013. Phase and Elemental Distributions in Alnico Magnetic Materials. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 49:3314-3317.
Yue G Q; Wu S; Shen B; Wang S Y; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Kramer M J; Chen L Y . 2013. Effects of strontium impurity on the structure and dynamics of Al88Si12 liquid. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 25:245102.
Mukherjee P; Zhou L; Kramer M J; Shield J E . 2013. Formation of non-equilibrium Fe-Au solid solutions in nanoclusters. Applied Physics Letters. 102:243103.