Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
2220C Hoover Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-0738
Design and processing of bioceramics and hybrid materials, synthesis and processing of ceramic powders, solid-liquid, solid-gas interfaces in materials systems, processing of high temperature materials.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Post-doc Materials Sciences, Argonne National Laboratory, 1977
- Ph.D. Ceramic Engineering, Iowa State University, 1977
- M.S. Chemistry, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1973
- B.S. Chemistry, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1970
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2009 International Service Award, Iowa State University
- 2008 Fulbright Scholar, Fulbright Lectureship Award
- 2008 - 2011 Member, Board of Trustees, ASM International
- 2008 Fellow, ASM International
- 2006 Ross Coffin Purdy Award, American Ceramic Society
- 2006 - 2010 International Advisor, National Institute of Materials Science of Japan
- 2002 - 2004 Member, Executive Council, University Materials Council
- 2003 Member, European Academy of Sciences
- 2001 Faculty Citation, Iowa State University
- 1996 Fellow, American Ceramic Society
- 1992 - 1993 Liaison Scientist for Materials, ONR European Office
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Thunga M; Larson K; Lio W; Weerasekera T; Akinc M; Kessler M R . 2013. Low viscosity cyanate ester resin for the injection repair of hole-edge delaminations in bismaleimide/carbon fiber composites. Composites Part A-Applied Science and Manufacturing. 52:31-37.
Bauer A; Thunga M; Obusek K; Akinc M; Kessler M R . 2013. Bisphenol E cyanate ester as a novel resin for repairing BMI/carbon fiber composites: Influence of cure temperature on adhesive bond strength. Polymer. 54:3994-4002.
Liu X P; Ge Q W; Rawal A; Parada G; Schmidt-Rohr K; Akinc M; Mallapragada S K . 2013. Templated and Bioinspired Aqueous Phase Synthesis and Characterization of Mesoporous Zirconia. Science of Advanced Materials. 5:354-365.
2012Guo H Z; Mudryk Y; Ahmad M I; Pang X C; Zhao L; Akinc M; Pecharsky V K; Bowler N; Lin Z Q; Tan X . 2012. Structure evolution and dielectric behavior of polystyrene-capped barium titanate nanoparticles. Journal of Materials Chemistry. 22:23944-23951.
Ma X; Klosterman L; Hu Y Y; Liu X P; Schmidt-Rohr K; Mallapragada S; Akinc M . 2012. Aqueous Route Synthesis of Mesoporous ZrO2 by Agarose Templation. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. 95:3455-3462.
Ray P K; Ye Y Y; Akinc M; Kramer M J . 2012. Effect of Nb and W substitutions on the stability of the A15 Mo3Si phase. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 537:65-70.
2011Hu Y Y; Liu X P; Ma X; Rawal A; Prozorov T; Akinc M; Mallapragada S K; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2011. Biomimetic Self-Assembling Copolymer-Hydroxyapatite Nanocomposites with the Nanocrystal Size Controlled by Citrate. Chemistry of Materials. 23:2481-2490.
Thunga M; Lio W Y; Akinc M; Kessler M R . 2011. Adhesive repair of bismaleimide/carbon fiber composites with bisphenol E cyanate ester. Composites Science and Technology. 71:239-245.
2010Ray P K; Brammer T; Ye Y Y; Akinc M; Kramer M J . 2010. A multi-stage hierarchical approach to alloy design. JOM. 62:25-29.
Ray P K; Akinc M; Kramer M J . 2010. Applications of an extended Miedema's model for ternary alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 489:357-361.