Dr. Basil Nikolau
Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
2210 Molec Biol
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-9423
Dr. Nikolau's research interests focus on the biochemistry and molecular biology of biotin and biotin-containing enzymes and the regulation of metabolism.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- University of Utah Molecular Biology Post-doc - 1983-1985
- University of California, Davis Biochemistry Post-doc - 1982-1983
- Massey University, New Zealand Biochemistry Ph.D., 1982
- Massey University, New Zealand Biochemistry/Chemistry B.Sc., 1st Class Hon., 1977
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008-present Deputy Director, NSF Engineering Research Center for Biorenewable Chemicals (CBiRC)
- 2007-present Director, Center of Metabolic Biology, ISU
- 2003-present Director, W.M. Keck Metabolomics Research Laboratory, ISU
- 1999-2007 Director, Center for Designer Crops, ISU
- 1998-present Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology, ISU
- 1993-1998 Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, ISU
- 1988-1993 Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, ISU
- 1985-1988 Senior Scientist, Biotech. Department, Native Plants Inc., Salt Lake City, Utah
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012Jin H N; Song Z H; Nikolau B J . 2012. Reverse genetic characterization of two paralogous acetoacetyl CoA thiolase genes in Arabidopsis reveals their importance in plant growth and development. Plant Journal. 70:1015-1032.
Lee Y J; Perdian D C; Song Z H; Yeung E S; Nikolau B J . 2012. Use of mass spectrometry for imaging metabolites in plants. Plant Journal. 70:81-95.
Korte A R; Song Z H; Nikolau B J; Lee Y J . 2012. Mass spectrometric imaging as a high-spatial resolution tool for functional genomics: Tissue-specific gene expression of TT7 inferred from heterogeneous distribution of metabolites in Arabidopsis flowers. Analytical Methods. 4:474-481.
2010Jun J H; Song Z H; Liu Z J; Nikolau B J; Yeung E S; Lee Y J . 2010. High-Spatial and High-Mass Resolution Imaging of Surface Metabolites of Arabidopsis thaliana by Laser Desorption-Ionization Mass Spectrometry Using Colloidal Silver. Analytical Chemistry. 82:3255-3265.
2009Cha S W; Song Z H; Nikolau B J; Yeung E S . 2009. Direct Profiling and Imaging of Epicuticular Waxes on Arabidopsis thaliana by Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry Using Silver Colloid as a Matrix. Analytical Chemistry. 81:2991-3000.
2008Cha S W; Zhang H; Ilarslan H I; Wurtele E S; Brachova L; Nikolau B J; Yeung E S . 2008. Direct profiling and imaging of plant metabolites in intact tissues by using colloidal graphite-assisted laser desorption ionization mass spectrometry. Plant Journal. 55:348-360.