Dr. Emily A. Smith
The research focus of the Smith group includes developing new methodology and spectroscopy instrumentation for the analysis of biomaterials with nanometer-sized features. The goals of her research are to produce methods that will enable important information for developing cleaner and cheaper energy to be measured, and to understand the molecular events that lead to cellular function.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- 2005: Postdoctoral Fellowship: University of Arizona, Tucson
- 2004: Postdoctoral Fellowship: University of Delaware, Newark
- 2003: Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- 2000: M.S. Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University, State College
- 1998: B.A. Chemistry, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2007-present: U.S. Department of Energy, Ames Laboratory, Faculty Scientist
- 2006-present: Iowa State University, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- NSF CAREER Award, 2009
- Society of Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh Starter Award, 2007
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Fellowship, 2005-2006
- NIH Cancer Biology Postdoctoral Training Fellowship, University of Arizona, 2004-2005
- Charles N. Reilley Award, Pharmacia Corporation, University of Wisconsin, 2002
- Vilas Travel Fellowship, University of Wisconsin, 2002
- Slifkin Excellence Award for Outstanding Accomplishment, University of Wisconsin, 2001
- Roberts Graduate Fellowship, Pennsylvania State University, 1998-1999
- Chemistry Department Scholar Award, Northwestern University, 1998
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Cole D P; Smith E A; Dalluge D; Wilson D M; Heaton E A; Brown R C; Lee Y J . 2013. Molecular characterization of nitrogen-containing species in switchgrass bio-oils at various harvest times. Fuel. 111:718-726.
Stender A S; Marchuk K; Liu C; Sander S; Meyer M W; Smith E A; Neupane B; Wang G F; Li J J; Cheng J X; Huang B; Fang N . 2013. Single Cell Optical Imaging and Spectroscopy. Chemical Reviews. 113:2469-2527.
Lee Y J; Leverence R C; Smith E A; Valenstein J S; Kandel K; Trewyn B G . 2013. High-Throughput Analysis of Algal Crude Oils Using High Resolution Mass Spectrometry. Lipids. 48:297-305.
Meyer M W; Nguyen V H T; Smith E A . 2013. Scanning angle Raman spectroscopy measurements of thin polymer films for thickness and composition analyses. Vibrational Spectroscopy. 65:94-100.
Lesoine M D; Bhattacharjee U; Guo Y J; Vela J; Petrich J W; Smith E A . 2013. Subdiffraction, Luminescence-Depletion Imaging of Isolated, Giant, CdSe/CdS Nanocrystal Quantum Dots. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 117:3662-3667.
Meyer M W; Mckee K J; Nguyen V H T; Smith E A . 2012. Scanning Angle Plasmon Waveguide Resonance Raman Spectroscopy for the Analysis of Thin Polystyrene Films. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116:24987-24992.
Lupoi J S; Smith E A . 2012. Characterization of Woody and Herbaceous Biomasses Lignin Composition with 1064 nm Dispersive Multichannel Raman Spectroscopy. Applied Spectroscopy. 66:903-910.
Lesoine M D; Bose S; Petrich J W; Smith E A . 2012. Supercontinuum Stimulated Emission Depletion Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 116:7821-7826.