Dr. Jacob W. Petrich
Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
0773 Gilman Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-9422
- Understanding fundamental chemical processes such as hydrogen atom transfer.
- Investigation and development of light-induced antiviral and antitumor agents.
- Understanding ligand binding in novel heme proteins.
- Exploiting non-natural amino acids to study protein structure and dynamics.
- Recently we have become involved in developing sensitive devices for the detection of environmental contaminants, in particular for use in food safety and health applications. We have most recently developed, patented, and licensed a technology based on fluorescence detection for use in the real-time identification of contaminated meat products. Until now, food inspection has been carried out either by eye on isolated samples or by time-consuming biochemical laboratory procedures. Our device simply applies good physical/analytical chemistry ideas to this enormously practical and important problem. We are currently working on developing techniques to detect in real-time factors related to transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) - that is, factors related to mad cow, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, or related diseases.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Postdoctoral fellow at the Laboratoire d'Optique Appliquée, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France, with Dr. Jean-Louis Martin.
- Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry, The University of Chicago, December 1985. Thesis advisor, Professor Graham R. Fleming.
- B.S. in Chemistry, cum laude, Yale University, May 1980.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2005-present: Chair, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 2001-present: Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 2000-2001: Maître de Recherche, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France
- 1995-2001: Associate Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 1989-1995: Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 1988-1989: Chargé de Recherche of the Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France
- 1986-1987: Boursier of La Fondation pour la Recherche Médicale, France
- 1986-1987: Poste Orange Visiting Research Fellow of the Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, France
- 1985-1986: NSF-U.S. Industrialized Countries Postdoctoral Fellow
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- ISU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Award for Departmental Leadership, 2009.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2008.
- Secretary's Honor Award for Enhancing Protection and Safety of the Nation's Agriculture and Food Supply, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC, June 2004.
- ISU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Mid-Career Award for Excellence in Research/Artistic Creativity, 2004.
- Agricultural Research Services Technology Transfer Award, 2003, New Orleans, January 2004.
- Award Honoring Iowa State University Inventors, April 29, 2002.
- 2002 Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer for work in Laser Detection in Food Safety, Little Rock, AK, May 8, 2002.
- Recognition of Food Safety Technology by the Iowa Department of Economic Development, Iowa da Vinci Celebration and Conference, February 2001.
- R&D 100 Award, 2000, “Method and System for Detecting Fecal and Ingesta Contamination on the Carcasses of Meat Animals”.
- Finsen Award Lectureship, 2000 (Presented by the Association Internationale de Photobiologie and the American Society for Photobiology to an Outstanding Photobiology Researcher).
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator, 1991-1994.
- Work featured on the cover of The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, Vol. 105, No. 6, 2001.
- Work featured on the cover of The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 106, No. 12, 2006.
- Work featured on the cover of The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 113, No. 32, 2009.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Mahadevapuram R C; Carr J A; Chen Y Q; Bose S; Nalwa K S; Petrich J W; Chaudharya S . 2013. Low-boiling-point solvent additives can also enable morphological control in polymer solar cells. Synthetic Metals. 185:115-119.
Lesoine M D; Bhattacharjee U; Guo Y J; Vela J; Petrich J W; Smith E A . 2013. Subdiffraction, Luminescence-Depletion Imaging of Isolated, Giant, CdSe/CdS Nanocrystal Quantum Dots. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 117:3662-3667.
2012Lesoine M D; Bose S; Petrich J W; Smith E A . 2012. Supercontinuum Stimulated Emission Depletion Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 116:7821-7826.
Nalwa K S; Carr J A; Mahadevapuram R C; Kodali H K; Bose S; Chen Y Q; Petrich J W; Ganapathysubramanian B; Chaudhary S . 2012. Enhanced charge separation in organic photovoltaic films doped with ferroelectric dipoles. Energy & Environmental Science. 5:7042-7049.
Bose S; Barnes C A; Petrich J W . 2012. Enhanced stability and activity of cellulase in an ionic liquid and the effect of pretreatment on cellulose hydrolysis. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 109:434-443.
Carlson P J; Bose S; Armstrong D W; Hawkins T; Gordon M S; Petrich J W . 2012. Structure and Dynamics of the 1-Hydroxyethyl-4-amino-1,2,4-triazolium Nitrate High-Energy Ionic Liquid System. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 116:503-512.