0215A Hach Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6093
- Magnetic, electronic, and other properties of novel materials
- Complex alloys, intermetallics, silicides, germanides, tellurides, oxides, and rare-earth containing materials
- Thermoelectric phenomena and materials
- NMR spectroscopy of complex tellurides
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Sc.D. Habilitation Solid State Physics, Institute of Materials Research Problems, Kiev, Ukraine
- Ph.D. Solid State Physics, Lviv State University, Ukraine
- B.S. / M.S. with Honors, Lviv Technical University, Ukraine
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present, Scientist I & Lecturer, Ames Laboratory DOE & Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2002 - 2010, Associate Scientist & Lecturer, Ames Laboratory DOE & Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - 2002 Term Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 2001 Visiting Scientist, Associate Scientist,Ames Laboratory DOE, Iowa State University
- 1988 - 1998 Principal Investigator and Coordinator of scientific projects sponsored by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Science and Technology, Lviv State University, Lviv, Ukraine
- 1993 - 1998 Visiting Scientist (periodically) International Laboratory of High Magnetic Fields and Low Temperatures, Institute of Low Temperatures and Structural Research, Wroclaw, Poland
- 1986 - 1998 Head of Advanced Materials Laboratory, Chief Scientist, Lviv State University, Lviv, Ukraine
- 1974 - 1986 Researcher, Assistant Professor, Senior Scientist at the Department of Physics, Lviv State University, Lviv, Ukraine
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1991 Ukrainian Government grant in the field of new electronic materials
- 1984 Highest Ukrainian State Prize for research in physics of rare-earth-based materials
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Levin E M; Hanus R; Hanson M; Straszheim W E; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2013. Thermoelectric properties of Ag2Sb2Ge46-xDyxTe50 alloys with high power factor. Physica Status Solidi A-Applications and Materials Science. 210:2628-2637.
Njegic B; Levin E M; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2013. Te-125 NMR chemical-shift trends in PbTe-GeTe and PbTe-SnTe alloys. Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. 55-56:79-83.
Levin E M; Heremans J P; Kanatzidis M G; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2013. Electronic inhomogeneity in n- and p-type PbTe detected by Te-125 NMR. Physical Review B. 88:115211.
Levin E M; Besser M F; Hanus R . 2013. Electronic and thermal transport in GeTe: A versatile base for thermoelectric materials. Journal of Applied Physics. 114:083713.
Levin E M . 2013. Magnetic phase transitions and electrical switching in Gd-5(Sn0.3Ge3.7) induced by magnetic field. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 340:113-119.
Nlebedim I C; Levin E M; Prozorov R; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Jiles D C . 2013. Magnetic and Thermoelectric Properties of Cobalt Ferrite. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 49:4269-4272.
Girard S N; Schmidt-Rohr K; Chasapis T C; Hatzikraniotis E; Njegic B; Levin E M; Rawal A; Paraskevopoulos K M; Kanatzidis M G . 2013. Analysis of Phase Separation in High Performance PbTePbS Thermoelectric Materials. Advanced Functional Materials. 23:747-757.
2012Levin E M; Bud'ko S L; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2012. Enhancement of Thermopower of TAGS-85 High-Performance Thermoelectric Material by Doping with the Rare Earth Dy. Advanced Functional Materials. 22:2766-2774.
Nielsen M D; Levin E M; Jaworski C M; Schmidt-Rohr K; Heremans J P . 2012. Chromium as resonant donor impurity in PbTe. Physical Review B. 85:045210.
Levin E M; Chen Q; Bud'ko S L . 2012. Magnetism, optical absorbance, and 19F NMR spectra of nafion films with self-assembling paramagnetic networks. Journal of Polymer Science Part B-Polymer Physics. 50:129-138.