Cleaning Trough and Barrier
Cleaning the Trough
- Put on gloves and fill a 1 liter bottle with pure water from the Milli-Q purifier.
- Remove cover of the trough and the barrier. To clean the barrier, please see below.
- Pour water into the trough until it is just full, i.e. not bulging over.
- Add Hellmanex soap, 2 milliliters is a good amount.
- If the trough is temperature regulated, turn the thermostat up to about 40 degrees Celsius.
- Let the water sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Empty and rinse the trough 6 times to make sure the Hellmanex is gone and the trough is clean.
Cleaning the Barrier
- The barrier should first be cleaned with ethanol and rinsed with pure water.
- Place the barrier in a rather large, clean, plastic container filled with pure water from the Milli-Q purifier.
- Add Hellmanex soap, about 2 milliliters, to the water.
- Place this container in the sonicator, which should be filled with pure water also. Set it for 15 minutes.
- After it is done, rinse out the container and barrier with pure water.
- Fill the container again with pure water and insert the barrier again.
- Put the container with the barrier in it in the sonicator again for another 15 minutes.
- Once it is done, rinse out the container and barrier again.
- The barrier is now clean, you are ready to insert it into a clean trough.