A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Lee G D; Wang C Z; Yoon E; Hwang N M; Ho K M . 2010. Reconstruction and evaporation at graphene nanoribbon edges. Physical Review B. 81:195419.
Chen Q; Ji M; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Biner S B . 2010. Core properties of dislocations in YCu and YAg B2 intermetallic compounds. Intermetallics. 18:312-318.
Hao S G; Wang C Z; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2010. Microscopic origin of slow dynamics at the good glass forming composition range in Zr1-xCux metallic liquids. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:053511.
Huang L; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2010. Short- and medium-range order in amorphous Zr2Ni metallic alloy. Physical Review B. 81:094118.
Wu S Q; Wang C Z; Zhu Z Z; Ho K M . 2010. Structural and dynamical heterogeneity in molten Si-rich oxides. Applied Physics Letters. 96:043121.
Peng H L; Li M Z; Wang W H; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Effect of local structures and atomic packing on glass forming ability in CuxZr100-x metallic glasses. Applied Physics Letters. 96:021901.
Huang L; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2010. Atomic size and chemical effects on the local order of Zr2M (M=Co, Ni, Cu, and Ag) binary liquids. Physical Review B. 81:014108.
Ji M; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Adhikari S; Hebert K R . 2010. Statistical model of defects in Al-H system. Physical Review B. 81:024105.
2009Qin W; Lu W C; Zhao L Z; Zang Q J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2009. Stabilities and fragmentation energies of Si-n clusters (n=2-33). Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 21:455501.
Zhang J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2009. Finding the low-energy structures of Si symmetric tilted grain boundaries with a genetic algorithm. Physical Review B. 80:174102.