A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Zhang J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2009. Finding the low-energy structures of Si symmetric tilted grain boundaries with a genetic algorithm. Physical Review B. 80:174102.
Gschneidner K A; Ji M; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Russell A M; Mudryk Y; Becker A T; Larson J L . 2009. Influence of the electronic structure on the ductile behavior of B2 CsCl-type AB intermetallics. Acta Materialia. 57:5876-5881.
Ozer M M; Wang C Z; Zhang Z Y; Weitering H H . 2009. Quantum Size Effects in the Growth, Coarsening, and Properties of Ultra-thin Metal Films and Related Nanostructures. Journal of Low Temperature Physics. 157:221-251.
Li M; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2009. Structural heterogeneity and medium-range order in ZrxCu100-x metallic glasses. Physical Review B. 80:184201.
Qin W; Lu W C; Zhao L Z; Zang Q J; Chen G J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2009. Platelike structures of semiconductor clusters Ge-n (n=40-44). Journal of Chemical Physics. 131:124507.
Vantarakis G; Mathioudakis C; Kopidakis G; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Kelires P C . 2009. Interfacial disorder and optoelectronic properties of diamond nanocrystals. Physical Review B. 80:045307.
Yao Y X; Wang C Z; Zhang G P; Ji M; Ho K M . 2009. A first-principles divide-and-conquer approach for electronic structure of large systems and its application to graphene nanoribbons. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 21:235501.
Li X P; Lu W C; Zang Q J; Chen G J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2009. Structures and Stabilities of Pb-n (n <= 20) Clusters. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 113:6217-6221.
Chan T L; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Chelikowsky J R . 2009. Efficient First-Principles Simulation of Noncontact Atomic Force Microscopy for Structural Analysis. Physical Review Letters. 102:176101.
Zhang W; Lu W C; Zang Q J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2009. Bulklike structures for medium-sized Al-n (n=31-40) clusters. Journal of Chemical Physics. 130:144701.