A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Li X P; Zhang W; Lu W C; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Fragmentation Behavior and Ionization Potentials of Lead Clusters Pb-n(n <= 30). Chemical Research in Chinese Universities. 26:996-1001.
Zhang G P; Hupalo M; Li M; Wang C Z; Evans J W; Tringides M C; Ho K M . 2010. Stochastic coarsening model for Pb islands on a Si(111) surface. Physical Review B. 82:165414.
Ji M; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Comparing efficiencies of genetic and minima hopping algorithms for crystal structure prediction. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 12:11617-11623.
Hao S G; Wang C Z; Li M Z; Napolitano R E; Mendelev M I; Ho K M . 2010. Prediction of cooling rate dependent ordering in metallic glass transition using a two-state model. Computational Materials Science. 49:615-618.
Lee G D; Wang C Z; Yoon E; Hwang N M; Ho K M . 2010. The role of pentagon-heptagon pair defect in carbon nanotube: The center of vacancy reconstruction. Applied Physics Letters. 97:093106.
Liu N; Li Y R; Lu N; Yao Y X; Fang X W; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Charge localization in  Si/Ge and Ge/Si core-shell nanowires. Journal of Physics D-Applied Physics. 43:275404.
Wu S Q; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Zhu Z Z; Ho K M . 2010. Energetics of local clusters in Cu64.5Zr35.5 metallic liquid and glass. Applied Physics Letters. 97:021901.
Yao Y X; Napolitano R; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Thermodynamic limits of crystallization and the prediction of glass formation tendency. Physical Review B. 81:212202.
Yao Y X; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Chemical bonding analysis for solid-state systems using intrinsic oriented quasiatomic minimal-basis-set orbitals. Physical Review B. 81:235119.
Qin W; Lu W C; Zang Q J; Zhao L Z; Chen G J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Geometric structures of Ge-n (n=34-39) clusters. Journal of Chemical Physics. 132:214509.