A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Li Q X; Lu W C; Zang Q J; Zhao L Z; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. Carbon-rich C9Sin (n=1-5) clusters from ab initio calculations. Computational and Theoretical Chemistry. 963:439-447.
Zhang G P; Fang X W; Yao Y X; Wang C Z; Ding Z J; Ho K M . 2011. Electronic structure and transport of a carbon chain between graphene nanoribbon leads. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 23:025302.
Hebert K R; Ai J H; Stafford G R; Ho K M; Wang C Z . 2011. Vacancy defects in aluminum formed during aqueous dissolution. Electrochimica Acta. 56:1806-1809.
2010Yao Y X; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Chemical bonding analysis for solid-state systems using intrinsic oriented quasiatomic minimal-basis-set orbitals. Physical Review B. 81:235119.
Adhikari S; Ai J H; Hebert K R; Ho K M; Wang C Z . 2010. Hydrogen in aluminum during alkaline corrosion. Electrochimica Acta. 55:5326-5331.
Lu W C; Wang C Z; Zhao L Z; Zhang W; Qin W; Ho K M . 2010. Appearance of bulk-like motifs in Si, Ge, and Al clusters. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 12:8551-8556.
Liu X J; Wang C Z; Hupalo M; Yao Y X; Tringides M C; Lu W C; Ho K M . 2010. Adsorption and growth morphology of rare-earth metals on graphene studied by ab initio calculations and scanning tunneling microscopy. Physical Review B. 82:245408.
Belianinov A; Unal B; Lu N; Ji M; Ho K M; Wang C Z; Tringides M C; Thiel P A . 2010. Islands and holes as measures of mass balance in growth of the (root 3x root 3)R30 degrees phase of Ag on Si(111). Physical Review B. 82:245413.
Li X P; Lu W C; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Structures of Pb-n (n=21-30) clusters from first-principles calculations. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 22:465501.
Fang X W; Wang C Z; Yao Y X; Ding Z J; Ho K M . 2010. Atomistic cluster alignment method for local order mining in liquids and glasses. Physical Review B. 82:184204.