A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Fang X W; Wang C Z; Yao Y X; Ding Z J; Ho K M . 2011. Signature of Al11Sm3 fragments in undercooled Al90Sm10 liquid from ab initio molecular dynamics simulations. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 23:235104.
Liu X J; Lu W C; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. Energetic and fragmentation stability of water clusters (H2O)(n), n=2-30. Chemical Physics Letters. 508:270-275.
Zhang J; Lu W C; Zang Q J; Zhao L Z; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. An ab initio calculation study of silicon and carbon binary clusters C7Sin (n=1-7). Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 23:205305.
Wu S Q; Umemoto K; Ji M; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Wentzcovitch R M . 2011. Identification of post-pyrite phase transitions in SiO2 by a genetic algorithm. Physical Review B. 83:184102.
Huang L; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. Structure and dynamics of liquid Ni36Zr64 by ab initio molecular dynamics. Physical Review B. 83:184103.
Zhao L Z; Su W S; Lu W C; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. Competitive Diamond-Like and Endohedral Fullerene Structures of Si-70. Journal of Computational Chemistry. 32:1271-1278.
Hupalo M; Liu X J; Wang C Z; Lu W C; Yao Y X; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2011. Metal Nanostructure Formation on Graphene: Weak versus Strong Bonding. Advanced Materials. 23:2082-2087.
Qin W; Zang Q J; Lu W C; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. Comparison of Si-n(+) and Ge-n(+)(n=2-15) Cationic Structures. Chemical Research in Chinese Universities. 27:313-317.
Zhang G P; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. Andreev reflection and momentum filtering in quantum-wire/superconductive-graphene/quantum-wire junction. Physics Letters A. 375:1043-1047.
Marty K; Christianson A D; Wang C H; Matsuda M; Cao H; VanBebber L H; Zarestky J L; Singh D J; Sefat A S; Lumsden M D . 2011. Competing magnetic ground states in nonsuperconducting Ba(Fe1-xCrx)(2)As-2 as seen via neutron diffraction. Physical Review B. 83:060509.