A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Wu S; Kramer M J; Fang X W; Wang S Y; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Ding Z J; Chen L Y . 2011. Structural and dynamical properties of liquid Cu(80)Si(20) alloy studied experimentally and by ab initio molecular dynamics simulations. Physical Review B. 84:134208.
Wang C J; Guo X F; Liu D J; Evans J W . 2011. Schloegl's Second Model for Autocatalysis on a Cubic Lattice: Mean-Field-Type Discrete Reaction-Diffusion Equation Analysis. Journal of Statistical Physics. 144:1308-1328.
Hao S G; Wang C Z; Li M Z; Napolitano R E; Ho K M . 2011. Dynamic arrest and glass formation induced by self-aggregation of icosahedral clusters in Zr(1-x)Cu(x) alloys. Physical Review B. 84:064203.
Liu N; Lu N; Yao Y X; Li Y R; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. Strain Effects in Ge/Si and Si/Ge Core/Shell Nanowires. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 115:15739-15742.
Belianinov A; Unal B; Ho K M; Wang C Z; Evans J W; Tringides M C; Thiel P A . 2011. Nucleation and growth of Ag islands on the (root 3 x root 3)R30 degrees phase of Ag on Si(111). Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 23:265002.
Zhang J H; Wang C Z; Zhu Z Z; Dobrovitski V V . 2011. Vibrational modes and lattice distortion of a nitrogen-vacancy center in diamond from first-principles calculations. Physical Review B. 84:035211.
Fang X W; Wang C Z; Yao Y X; Ding Z J; Ho K M . 2011. Competition between fcc and icosahedral short-range orders in pure and samarium-doped liquid aluminum from first principles. Physical Review B. 83:224203.
Liu X J; Wang C Z; Yao Y X; Lu W C; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Ho K M . 2011. Bonding and charge transfer by metal adatom adsorption on graphene. Physical Review B. 83:235411.
Huang L; Fang X W; Wang C Z; Kramer M J; Ding Z J; Ho K M . 2011. Medium-range icosahedral order in quasicrystal-forming Zr2Pd binary metallic glass. Applied Physics Letters. 98:231906.
Yao Y X; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2011. Including many-body screening into self-consistent calculations: Tight-binding model studies with the Gutzwiller approximation. Physical Review B. 83:245139.