A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012Wu S; Kramer M J; Fang X W; Wang S Y; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Ding Z J; Chen L Y . 2012. Icosahedral short-range order in amorphous Cu80Si20 by ab initio molecular dynamics simulation study. Intermetallics. 30:122-126.
Zhao L Z; Lu W C; Qin W; Zang Q J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2012. Endohedral cage and layered structures of Al-46. Chemical Physics Letters. 549:44-50.
Engstfeld A K; Hoster H E; Behm R J; Roelofs L D; Liu X J; Wang C Z; Han Y; Evans J W . 2012. Directed assembly of Ru nanoclusters on Ru(0001)-supported graphene: STM studies and atomistic modeling. Physical Review B. 86:085442.
Liu X J; Hupalo M; Wang C Z; Lu W C; Thiel P A; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2012. Growth morphology and thermal stability of metal islands on graphene. Physical Review B. 86:081414.
Yao Y X; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2012. The benchmark of gutzwiller density functional theory in hydrogen systems (vol 112, pg 240, 2012). International Journal of Quantum Chemistry. 112:2766-2766.
Liu X J; Wang C Z; Hupalo M; Lu W C; Tringides M C; Yao Y X; Ho K M . 2012. Metals on graphene: correlation between adatom adsorption behavior and growth morphology. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 14:9157-9166.
Binz S M; Hupalo M; Liu X J; Wang C Z; Lu W C; Thiel P A; Ho K M; Conrad E H; Tringides M C . 2012. High Island Densities and Long Range Repulsive Interactions: Fe on Epitaxial Graphene. Physical Review Letters. 109:026103.
Nguyen M C; Zhao X; Ji M; Wang C Z; Harmon B; Ho K M . 2012. Atomic structure and magnetic properties of Fe1-xCox alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 111:07e338.
Wang C J; Liu D J; Evans J W . 2012. Schloegl's second model for autocatalysis on hypercubic lattices: Dimension dependence of generic two-phase coexistence. Physical Review E. 85:041109.
Song W; Lu W C; Zang Q J; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2012. Double icosahedron-based motif of Nin (n=20-30). International Journal of Quantum Chemistry. 112:1717-1724.