A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2008Huang L; Lu N; Yan J A; Chou M Y; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2008. Size- and strain-dependent electronic structures in H-passivated Si  nanowires. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 112:15680-15683.
2007Lee G D; Wang C Z; Yu J; Yoon E; Hwang N M; Ho K M . 2007. Formation of carbon nanotube semiconductor-metal intramolecular junctions by self-assembly of vacancy defects. Physical Review B. 76:165413.
Yao Y X; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2007. Cluster-in-jellium model and icosahedral ordering tendencies in liquid Al alloys. Physical Review B. 76:174209.
Chan T L; Yao Y X; Wang C Z; Lu W C; Li J; Qian X F; Yip S; Ho K M . 2007. Highly localized quasiatomic minimal basis orbitals for Mo from ab initio calculations. Physical Review B. 76:205119.
Lu N; Ciobanu C V; Chan T L; Chuang F C; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2007. The structure of ultrathin H-passivated  silicon nanowires. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 111:7933-7937.
Hupalo M; Chan T L; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2007. Interplay between indirect interaction and charge-density wave in Pb-adsorbed In(4x1)-Si(111). Physical Review B. 76:045415.
Li M; Evans J W; Wang C Z; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Chan T L; Ho K M . 2007. Strongly-driven coarsening of height-selected Pb islands on Si(111). Surface Science. 601:L140-L144.