A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6934
- Condensed matter physics and computational materials science
- develop tight-binding potentials and tight-binding molecular dynamics method for materials simulations
- atomistic modeling and simulation study of structural, dynamical and electronic properties as well as phase transformation of condensed matter systems and molecules, including:
- liquid and amorphous materials
- biological molecules
- develop genetic algorithm for global structure optimization and Gutzwiller density functional theory and computational code for studying ground state energy and properties of strongly correlated electron systems
- ab initio calculation and tight-binding molecular dynamics simulation studies of formations, structures, and stabilities of surface-based nanostructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Condensed Matter Physics, Intl. School for Adv. Studies (SISSA), Trieste, Italy, 1986
- B.S. Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 2008 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1996 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center, Iowa State University
- 1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996 U.S. D.O.E. Materials Science award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Wang S Y; Kramer M J; Xu M; Wu S; Hao S G; Sordelet D J; Ho K M; Wang C Z . 2009. Experimental and ab initio molecular dynamics simulation studies of liquid Al60Cu40 alloy. Physical Review B. 79:144205.
Ren W; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Chan C T . 2009. Transport in a metallic nanotube at finite temperature. Physical Review B. 79:161404.
Li M; Wang C Z; Evans J W; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Ho K M . 2009. Competition between area and height evolution of Pb islands on a Si(111) surface. Physical Review B. 79:113404.
Hao S G; Kramer M J; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Nandi S; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; Wessels V; Sahu K K; Kelton K F; Hyers R W; Canepari S M; Rogers J R . 2009. Experimental and ab initio structural studies of liquid Zr2Ni. Physical Review B. 79:104206.
Wang S Y; Wang C Z; Zheng C X; Ho K M . 2009. Structure and dynamics of liquid Al1-xSix alloys by ab initio molecular dynamics simulations. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 355:340-347.
Ciobanu C V; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2009. Global Optimization of 2-Dimensional Nanoscale Structures: A Brief Review. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 24:109-118.
2008Li M Z; Wang C Z; Mendelev M I; Ho K M . 2008. Molecular dynamics investigation of dynamical heterogeneity and local structure in the supercooled liquid and glass states of Al. Physical Review B. 77:184202.
Wang H; Sun J; Lu W C; Li Z S; Sun C C; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2008. New motif of silicon segregation in silicon monoxide clusters. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 112:7097-7101.
Chen J; Hupalo M; Ji M; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2008. Crystallographic phase transition and island height selection in In/Si(111) growth. Physical Review B. 77:233302.
Sun J; Lu W C; Li Z S; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2008. Appearance of the bulk motif in Al clusters. Journal of Chemical Physics. 129:014707.