253 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8220
- Synthesis, structure, experimental thermodynamics, physical and chemical properties of novel binary, ternary and multicomponent intermetallic compounds containing rare earth metals.
- Anomalous behavior of 4f-electron systems
- Relationships between materials' composition, structure, physical and chemical properties
- Magnetostructural phase transformations
- Physical properties of ultra-pure rare earth metals
- Hydrogen storage materials
- Complex hydrides
- Mechanochemical transformations and mechanically promoted solid state reactions
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry, L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1979
- M.S. Chemistry (with distinction), L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1976
- B.S. Chemistry (with distinction), L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1976
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1998 - 2000 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 1998 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Anson Marston Distinguished Professor in Engineering
- 2003 Materials Science and Engineering Department Excellence in Research Award
- 2003 Innovative Housing Technology Awards: Coming of Age Award for Magnetic Refrigerator by the Nat’l. Assn. of Home Builders, Atlanta, GA
- 2002 Federal Laboratory Consortium’s Mid-Continent Award for Outstanding Regional Partnership between DOE’s Ames Lab. and Astronautics Corp. of America on “Magnetic Refrigeration Technology”
- 2000 US DOE’s Energy 100 Award for the “Magnetic Refrigeration Unit”
- 1999 Award of Excellence for a Technical Paper “Magnetic Cooling for Appliances” presented at the 50th Anniversary Conf. of the Int’l. Appliance Technical Conference at Purdue University
- 1997 DOE Materials Sciences Award for Significant Implication for Dept. of Energy Related Technologies in the Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Russell B. Scott Memorial Award for the Best Research Paper at the 1993 Cryogenic Engineering Conference and published in Adv. in Cryogenic Engineering
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Singh N K; Kumar P; Mao Z; Paudyal D; Neu V; Suresh K G; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2009. Magnetic, magnetocaloric and magnetoresistance properties of Nd7Pd3. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 21:456004.
Zou M; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Mudryk Y; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2009. Electrical resistivity and magnetoresistance of single-crystal Tb5Si2.2Ge1.8. Physical Review B. 80:174411.
Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Mudryk Y; Paudyal D . 2009. Making the most of the magnetic and lattice entropy changes. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 321:3541-3547.
Chernyshov A S; Mudryk Y; Paudyal D; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2009. Magnetostructural transition in Gd5Sb0.5Ge3.5. Physical Review B. 80:184416.
Moore J D; Morrison K; Perkins G K; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K; Cohen L F . 2009. Metamagnetism Seeded by Nanostructural Features of Single-Crystalline Gd5Si2Ge2. Advanced Materials. 21:3780-3783.
Tian W; Kreyssig A; Zarestky J L; Tan L; Nandi S; Goldman A I; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K; McQueeney R J . 2009. Single-crystal neutron diffraction study of short-range magnetic correlations in Tb5Ge4. Physical Review B. 80:134422.
Ahn K; Pecharsky V K; Gischneidner K A . 2009. The magnetothermal behavior of mixed-valence Eu3O4. Journal of Applied Physics. 106:043918.
Qian Z; Chumbley L S; Misra S; Miller G; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Ahn K; Chernyshov A S; Singh N K . 2009. Electron microscopy examination of R5T4 alloys, where R = Ho, Yb and Gd, and T = Si, Ge, Ga and Sb. Acta Materialia. 57:3374-3381.
Arnold Z; Magen C; Morellon L; Algarabel P A; Kamarad J; Ibarra M R; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2009. Magnetocaloric effect of Er5Si4 under hydrostatic pressure. Physical Review B. 79:144430.
Hale L; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K; Mudryk Y . 2009. Low temperature properties of some RIn3 compounds. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 472:24-29.