253 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8220
- Synthesis, structure, experimental thermodynamics, physical and chemical properties of novel binary, ternary and multicomponent intermetallic compounds containing rare earth metals.
- Anomalous behavior of 4f-electron systems
- Relationships between materials' composition, structure, physical and chemical properties
- Magnetostructural phase transformations
- Physical properties of ultra-pure rare earth metals
- Hydrogen storage materials
- Complex hydrides
- Mechanochemical transformations and mechanically promoted solid state reactions
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry, L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1979
- M.S. Chemistry (with distinction), L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1976
- B.S. Chemistry (with distinction), L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1976
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1998 - 2000 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 1998 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Anson Marston Distinguished Professor in Engineering
- 2003 Materials Science and Engineering Department Excellence in Research Award
- 2003 Innovative Housing Technology Awards: Coming of Age Award for Magnetic Refrigerator by the Nat’l. Assn. of Home Builders, Atlanta, GA
- 2002 Federal Laboratory Consortium’s Mid-Continent Award for Outstanding Regional Partnership between DOE’s Ames Lab. and Astronautics Corp. of America on “Magnetic Refrigeration Technology”
- 2000 US DOE’s Energy 100 Award for the “Magnetic Refrigeration Unit”
- 1999 Award of Excellence for a Technical Paper “Magnetic Cooling for Appliances” presented at the 50th Anniversary Conf. of the Int’l. Appliance Technical Conference at Purdue University
- 1997 DOE Materials Sciences Award for Significant Implication for Dept. of Energy Related Technologies in the Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Russell B. Scott Memorial Award for the Best Research Paper at the 1993 Cryogenic Engineering Conference and published in Adv. in Cryogenic Engineering
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Ryan D H; Cadogan J M; Cranswick L M D; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K; Mudryk Y . 2010. Structural and magnetic transitions in Gd5SixGe4-x (0 <= x <= 0.9) from neutron powder diffraction. Physical Review B. 82:224405.
Paudyal D; Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2010. Competing crystal and magnetic structures in Gd5Ge4. Physical Review B. 82:144413.
Dolotko O; Zhang H Q; Li S; Jena P; Pecharsky V . 2010. Mechanochemically driven nonequilibrium processes in MNH2-CaH2 systems (M = Li or Na). Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 506:224-230.
Fu H; Zou M; Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2010. Enhancement of the glass-forming ability by Zr microalloying and its influence on the magnetocaloric properties of bulk amorphous Gd-Co-Al. Journal of Applied Physics. 108:053916.
Hansen B R; Bahl C R H; Kuhn L T; Smith A; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2010. Consequences of the magnetocaloric effect on magnetometry measurements. Journal of Applied Physics. 108:043923.
Zhang H; Long Y; Cao Q; Mudryk Y; Zou M; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2010. Microstructure and magnetocaloric effect in cast LaFe11.5Si1.5Bx (x=0.5, 1.0). Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 322:1710-1714.
Paudyal D; Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Misra S; Miller G J; Gschneidner K A . 2010. Influence of Y substitutions on the magnetism of Gd5Ge4. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:09a908.
Haldar A; Singh N K; Mudryk Y; Nayak A K; Suresh K G; Nigam A K; Pecharsky V K . 2010. Magnetostructural transition in Ce(Fe0.975Ga0.025)(2) compound. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:09e133.
Khan M; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2010. Magnetocaloric effects in Er1-xTbxAl2 alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:09a904.
Nirmala R; Paudyal D; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2010. Magnetic properties of Er1-xDyxAl2(0 <= x <= 1) compounds in low applied fields. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:09a723.