253 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8220
- Synthesis, structure, experimental thermodynamics, physical and chemical properties of novel binary, ternary and multicomponent intermetallic compounds containing rare earth metals.
- Anomalous behavior of 4f-electron systems
- Relationships between materials' composition, structure, physical and chemical properties
- Magnetostructural phase transformations
- Physical properties of ultra-pure rare earth metals
- Hydrogen storage materials
- Complex hydrides
- Mechanochemical transformations and mechanically promoted solid state reactions
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry, L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1979
- M.S. Chemistry (with distinction), L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1976
- B.S. Chemistry (with distinction), L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1976
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1998 - 2000 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 1998 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Anson Marston Distinguished Professor in Engineering
- 2003 Materials Science and Engineering Department Excellence in Research Award
- 2003 Innovative Housing Technology Awards: Coming of Age Award for Magnetic Refrigerator by the Nat’l. Assn. of Home Builders, Atlanta, GA
- 2002 Federal Laboratory Consortium’s Mid-Continent Award for Outstanding Regional Partnership between DOE’s Ames Lab. and Astronautics Corp. of America on “Magnetic Refrigeration Technology”
- 2000 US DOE’s Energy 100 Award for the “Magnetic Refrigeration Unit”
- 1999 Award of Excellence for a Technical Paper “Magnetic Cooling for Appliances” presented at the 50th Anniversary Conf. of the Int’l. Appliance Technical Conference at Purdue University
- 1997 DOE Materials Sciences Award for Significant Implication for Dept. of Energy Related Technologies in the Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Russell B. Scott Memorial Award for the Best Research Paper at the 1993 Cryogenic Engineering Conference and published in Adv. in Cryogenic Engineering
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Zhong X C; Zhang H; Zou M; Liu Z W; Zeng D C; Gschneidner Karl A Jr; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Influence of Heat Treatment on the Structure and Magnetic Properties of Gd5Sn4 Alloy for Magnetic Refrigeration. Supplemental Proceedings: Materials Processing and Energy Materials. 1:ch 36.
Zhong X C; Zou M; Zhang H; Liu Z W; Zeng D C; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Crystal structure and magnetic properties of R5Sn4 alloys, where R is Tb, Dy, Ho, and Er. Journal of Applied Physics. 109:07a917.
Nirmala R; Paudyal D; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Nigam A K . 2011. First order transition in Dy5Si3Ge: Transport and thermal properties, and first principles calculations. Journal of Applied Physics. 109:07a923.
Mudryk Y; Paudyal D; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2011. Magnetic properties of Gd2C: Experiment and first principles calculations. Journal of Applied Physics. 109:07A924.
Usman I T M; Yates K A; Moore J D; Morrison K; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Verhagen T; Aarts J; Zverev V I; Robinson J W A; Witt J D S; Blamire M G; Cohen L F . 2011. Evidence for spin mixing in holmium thin film and crystal samples. Physical Review B. 83:144518.
Khan M; Paudyal D; Mudryk Y; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Use of Stevens coefficients for the prediction of magnetic transitions in pseudobinary R1xR(x)(2) alloys: Application to Tm1-xTbxAl(2). Physical Review B. 83:134437.
Tseng Y C; Ma H J; Yang C Y; Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Souza-Neto N M; Haskel D . 2011. Effect of Si doping and applied pressure upon magnetostructural properties of Tb-5(SixGe1-x)(4) magnetocaloric compounds. Physical Review B. 83:104419 .
Zhang H; Long Y; Cao Q; Zou M; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Effect of Ca on the microstructure and magnetocaloric effects in the La1-xCaxFe11.5Si1.5 compounds. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 509:3746-3750.
2010Khan M; Mudryk Y; Paudyal D; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2010. Experimental and theoretical study of the magnetic and structural properties of Er0.75Tb0.25Al2. Physical Review B. 82:064421.
Mudryk Y; Paudyal D; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Misra S; Miller G J . 2010. Controlling Magnetism of a Complex Metallic System Using Atomic Individualism. Physical Review Letters. 105:066401.