253 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8220
- Synthesis, structure, experimental thermodynamics, physical and chemical properties of novel binary, ternary and multicomponent intermetallic compounds containing rare earth metals.
- Anomalous behavior of 4f-electron systems
- Relationships between materials' composition, structure, physical and chemical properties
- Magnetostructural phase transformations
- Physical properties of ultra-pure rare earth metals
- Hydrogen storage materials
- Complex hydrides
- Mechanochemical transformations and mechanically promoted solid state reactions
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry, L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1979
- M.S. Chemistry (with distinction), L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1976
- B.S. Chemistry (with distinction), L’viv State University, L’viv, Ukraine, 1976
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1998 - 2000 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 1998 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Anson Marston Distinguished Professor in Engineering
- 2003 Materials Science and Engineering Department Excellence in Research Award
- 2003 Innovative Housing Technology Awards: Coming of Age Award for Magnetic Refrigerator by the Nat’l. Assn. of Home Builders, Atlanta, GA
- 2002 Federal Laboratory Consortium’s Mid-Continent Award for Outstanding Regional Partnership between DOE’s Ames Lab. and Astronautics Corp. of America on “Magnetic Refrigeration Technology”
- 2000 US DOE’s Energy 100 Award for the “Magnetic Refrigeration Unit”
- 1999 Award of Excellence for a Technical Paper “Magnetic Cooling for Appliances” presented at the 50th Anniversary Conf. of the Int’l. Appliance Technical Conference at Purdue University
- 1997 DOE Materials Sciences Award for Significant Implication for Dept. of Energy Related Technologies in the Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Russell B. Scott Memorial Award for the Best Research Paper at the 1993 Cryogenic Engineering Conference and published in Adv. in Cryogenic Engineering
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Khan M; Mudryk Y; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Magnetism of Ho(1-x)Tb(x)Al(2) alloys: Critical dependence of a first-order transition on Tb concentration. Physical Review B. 84:214437.
Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2011. Extraordinary Responsive Intermetallic Compounds: the R(5)T(4) Family (R = Rare Earth, T = Group 13-15 Element). Zeitschrift Fur Anorganische Und Allgemeine Chemie. 637:1948-1956.
Khan M; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Spin reorientation transitions in Ho(1-x)Dy(x)Al(2) alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 110:103912.
Khan M; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Magnetic and thermal properties of Er(75)Dy(25) single crystals. Physical Review B. 84:134424.
Zverev V I; Gimaev R R; Tishin A M; Mudryk Y; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. The role of demagnetization factor in determining the 'true' value of the Curie temperature. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 323:2453-2457.
Dolotko O; Kobayashi T; Wiench J W; Pruski M; Pecharsky V . 2011. Investigation of the thermochemical transformations in the LiAlH(4)-LiNH(2) system. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 36:10626-10634.
Paudyal D; Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2011. Electronic structure, magnetic properties, and magnetostructural transition in Tb(5)Si(2.2)Ge(1.8) from first principles. Physical Review B. 84:014421.
Fu H; Zou M; Cao Q; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Chumbley L S . 2011. Microstructure and magnetocaloric effects in partially amorphous Gd55Co15Al30-xSix alloys. Materials Science and Engineering a-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing. 528:5219-5222.
Zhong X C; Zhang H; Zou M; Liu Z W; Zeng D C; Gschneidner Karl A Jr; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Influence of Heat Treatment on the Structure and Magnetic Properties of Gd5Sn4 Alloy for Magnetic Refrigeration. Supplemental Proceedings: Materials Processing and Energy Materials. 1:ch 36.
Zhong X C; Zou M; Zhang H; Liu Z W; Zeng D C; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Crystal structure and magnetic properties of R5Sn4 alloys, where R is Tb, Dy, Ho, and Er. Journal of Applied Physics. 109:07a917.