Michael C. Tringides
A113 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6439
- Epitaxial growth
- Surface diffusion
- Nanostructure self organization
- Quantum size effects
- Scanning tunneling microscopy
- High resolution low energy electron diffraction
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Chicago, 1984
- M.Sc. Physics, University of Chicago, 1980
- B.A. Mathematics and Physics, Yale University, 1977
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1997 - present Professor, Iowa State University and Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 Visiting Professor, University of Lille
- 1996 Visiting Professor, University of Hannover
- 1992 - 1997 Associate Professor of Physics, Iowa State University
- 1992 - 1997 Physicist, Iowa State University
- 1987 - 1992 Assistant Professor of Physics, Iowa State University
- 1987 - 1992 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1985 - 1987 Project Associate, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1985 - 1987 Project Associate University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1984 - 1985 Research Associate, University of Chicago
- 1979 - 1984 Research Assistant, University of Chicago
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2003 APS Fellow, Condensed Matter Division
- 2000 Co-Director NATO Advanced Research Workshop on “Collective Surface Diffusion Coefficients Under Non-Equilibrium Conditions,” Prague
- 1999 Panel Review of Materials Science Program of Lawrence Livermore and Sandia National Laboratories
- 1998 Organizer of Joint Midwest Solid State Conference, Ames, Iowa
- 1996 NATO Co-Director of Advanced Study Institute “Surface Diffusions: Atomistic and Collective Processes” Rhodes, Greece
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2007Yakes M; Hupalo M; Zaluska-Kotur M A; Gortel Z W; Tringides M C . 2007. Low-temperature ultrafast mobility in systems with long-range repulsive interactions: Pb/Si(111). Physical Review Letters. 98:135504.
Hupalo M; Tringides M C . 2007. Ultrafast kinetics in Pb/Si(111) from the collective spreading of the wetting layer. Physical Review B. 75:235443.
Hupalo M; Chan T L; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2007. Interplay between indirect interaction and charge-density wave in Pb-adsorbed In(4x1)-Si(111). Physical Review B. 76:045415.
Jeffrey C A; Feng R; Conrad E H; Miceli P F; Kim C; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Ryan P J . 2007. The growth of Pb nanocrystals on Si(111)7 x 7: Quantum size effects. Superlattices and Microstructures. 41:168-177.
Li M; Evans J W; Wang C Z; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Chan T L; Ho K M . 2007. Strongly-driven coarsening of height-selected Pb islands on Si(111). Surface Science. 601:L140-L144.
Yakes M; Chen J; Hupalo M; Tringides M C . 2007. Unusual thermal stability of quantum size effect Pb islands grown on Si(111)-In(4x1). Applied Physics Letters. 90:163117.