Michael C. Tringides
A113 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6439
- Epitaxial growth
- Surface diffusion
- Nanostructure self organization
- Quantum size effects
- Scanning tunneling microscopy
- High resolution low energy electron diffraction
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Chicago, 1984
- M.Sc. Physics, University of Chicago, 1980
- B.A. Mathematics and Physics, Yale University, 1977
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1997 - present Professor, Iowa State University and Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 Visiting Professor, University of Lille
- 1996 Visiting Professor, University of Hannover
- 1992 - 1997 Associate Professor of Physics, Iowa State University
- 1992 - 1997 Physicist, Iowa State University
- 1987 - 1992 Assistant Professor of Physics, Iowa State University
- 1987 - 1992 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1985 - 1987 Project Associate, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1985 - 1987 Project Associate University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1984 - 1985 Research Associate, University of Chicago
- 1979 - 1984 Research Assistant, University of Chicago
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2003 APS Fellow, Condensed Matter Division
- 2000 Co-Director NATO Advanced Research Workshop on “Collective Surface Diffusion Coefficients Under Non-Equilibrium Conditions,” Prague
- 1999 Panel Review of Materials Science Program of Lawrence Livermore and Sandia National Laboratories
- 1998 Organizer of Joint Midwest Solid State Conference, Ames, Iowa
- 1996 NATO Co-Director of Advanced Study Institute “Surface Diffusions: Atomistic and Collective Processes” Rhodes, Greece
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Binz S M; Hupalo M; Tringides M C . 2009. Quantum size effect dependent critical size cluster and finite size effects. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:094307.
Li M; Wang C Z; Evans J W; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Ho K M . 2009. Competition between area and height evolution of Pb islands on a Si(111) surface. Physical Review B. 79:113404.
2008Chen J; Hupalo M; Ji M; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2008. Crystallographic phase transition and island height selection in In/Si(111) growth. Physical Review B. 77:233302.
Kuntova Z; Chvoj Z; Tringides M C; Yakes M . 2008. Monte carlo simulations of growth modes of Pb nanoislands on Si(111) surface. European Physical Journal B. 64:61-66.
Arapaki E; Argyrakis P; Tringides M C . 2008. Modelling of diffusion from equilibrium diffraction fluctuations in ordered phases. Surface Science. 602:2162-2169.
Han Y; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Liu F . 2008. Quantum modulation of island nucleation on top of a metal nanomesa. Surface Science. 602:62-66.
Man K L; Tringides M C; Loy M M T; Altman M S . 2008. Anomalous Mass Transport in the Pb Wetting Layer on the Si(111) Surface. Physical Review Letters. 101:226102.
Binz S M; Hupalo M; Tringides M C . 2008. Height-dependent nucleation and ideal layer by layer growth in Pb/Pb(111)/Si(111). Physical Review B. 78:193407.
Kuntova Z; Tringides M C; Chvoj Z . 2008. Height-dependent barriers and nucleation in quantum size effect growth. Physical Review B. 78:155431.
2007Kuntova Z; Hupalo M; Chvoj Z; Tringides M C . 2007. Bilayer-ring second-layer nucleation morphology in Pb/Si(111)-7x7. Physical Review B. 75:205436.