Michael C. Tringides
A113 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6439
- Epitaxial growth
- Surface diffusion
- Nanostructure self organization
- Quantum size effects
- Scanning tunneling microscopy
- High resolution low energy electron diffraction
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Chicago, 1984
- M.Sc. Physics, University of Chicago, 1980
- B.A. Mathematics and Physics, Yale University, 1977
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1997 - present Professor, Iowa State University and Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 Visiting Professor, University of Lille
- 1996 Visiting Professor, University of Hannover
- 1992 - 1997 Associate Professor of Physics, Iowa State University
- 1992 - 1997 Physicist, Iowa State University
- 1987 - 1992 Assistant Professor of Physics, Iowa State University
- 1987 - 1992 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1985 - 1987 Project Associate, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1985 - 1987 Project Associate University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1984 - 1985 Research Associate, University of Chicago
- 1979 - 1984 Research Assistant, University of Chicago
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2003 APS Fellow, Condensed Matter Division
- 2000 Co-Director NATO Advanced Research Workshop on “Collective Surface Diffusion Coefficients Under Non-Equilibrium Conditions,” Prague
- 1999 Panel Review of Materials Science Program of Lawrence Livermore and Sandia National Laboratories
- 1998 Organizer of Joint Midwest Solid State Conference, Ames, Iowa
- 1996 NATO Co-Director of Advanced Study Institute “Surface Diffusions: Atomistic and Collective Processes” Rhodes, Greece
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Liu X J; Wang C Z; Hupalo M; Yao Y X; Tringides M C; Lu W C; Ho K M . 2010. Adsorption and growth morphology of rare-earth metals on graphene studied by ab initio calculations and scanning tunneling microscopy. Physical Review B. 82:245408.
Belianinov A; Unal B; Lu N; Ji M; Ho K M; Wang C Z; Tringides M C; Thiel P A . 2010. Islands and holes as measures of mass balance in growth of the (root 3x root 3)R30 degrees phase of Ag on Si(111). Physical Review B. 82:245413.
Zhang G P; Hupalo M; Li M; Wang C Z; Evans J W; Tringides M C; Ho K M . 2010. Stochastic coarsening model for Pb islands on a Si(111) surface. Physical Review B. 82:165414.
Tringides M C; Hupalo M . 2010. Surface diffusion experiments with STM: equilibrium correlations and non-equilibrium low temperature growth. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 22:264002.
Kuntova Z; Tringides M C; Binz S M; Hupalo M; Chvoj Z . 2010. Controlling nucleation rates in nanostructures with electron confinement. Surface Science. 604:519-522.
Unal B; Belianinov A; Thiel P A; Tringides M C . 2010. Lattice expansion in islands stabilized by electron confinement: Ag on Si(111)-7x7. Physical Review B. 81:085411.
2009Li T; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Wang J . 2009. Ultrafast Dynamics of Highly Excited Dirac Fermions in Few-Layer Graphene: Evidence for Three-Particle Auger Scattering. MRS Proceedings. 1230:MM02-06.
Svec M; Chab V; Tringides M C . 2009. Resolving the coverage puzzle of the Pb/Si(111)-root 7x root 3 phase. Journal of Applied Physics. 106:053501.
Hupalo M; Conrad E H; Tringides M C . 2009. Growth mechanism for epitaxial graphene on vicinal 6H-SiC(0001) surfaces: A scanning tunneling microscopy study. Physical Review B. 80:041401.
Binz S M; Hupalo M; Tringides M C . 2009. Quantum size effect dependent critical size cluster and finite size effects. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:094307.