Michael C. Tringides
A113 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6439
- Epitaxial growth
- Surface diffusion
- Nanostructure self organization
- Quantum size effects
- Scanning tunneling microscopy
- High resolution low energy electron diffraction
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Chicago, 1984
- M.Sc. Physics, University of Chicago, 1980
- B.A. Mathematics and Physics, Yale University, 1977
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1997 - present Professor, Iowa State University and Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1996 Visiting Professor, University of Lille
- 1996 Visiting Professor, University of Hannover
- 1992 - 1997 Associate Professor of Physics, Iowa State University
- 1992 - 1997 Physicist, Iowa State University
- 1987 - 1992 Assistant Professor of Physics, Iowa State University
- 1987 - 1992 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1985 - 1987 Project Associate, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1985 - 1987 Project Associate University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1984 - 1985 Research Associate, University of Chicago
- 1979 - 1984 Research Assistant, University of Chicago
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2003 APS Fellow, Condensed Matter Division
- 2000 Co-Director NATO Advanced Research Workshop on “Collective Surface Diffusion Coefficients Under Non-Equilibrium Conditions,” Prague
- 1999 Panel Review of Materials Science Program of Lawrence Livermore and Sandia National Laboratories
- 1998 Organizer of Joint Midwest Solid State Conference, Ames, Iowa
- 1996 NATO Co-Director of Advanced Study Institute “Surface Diffusions: Atomistic and Collective Processes” Rhodes, Greece
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2014Liu X J; Wang C Z; Hupalo M; Lin H Q; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2014. Quantum confinement induced oscillatory electric field on a stepped Pb(111) film and its influence on surface reactivity. Physical Review B. 89:041401.
2013Lei H P; Wang C Z; Yao Y X; Wang Y G; Hupalo M; McDougall D; Tringides M; Ho K M . 2013. Strain effect on the adsorption, diffusion, and molecular dissociation of hydrogen on Mg (0001) surface. Journal of Chemical Physics. 139:224702.
Matetskiy A V; Bondarenko L V; Gruznev D V; Zotov A V; Saranin A A; Tringides M C . 2013. Structural transformations in Pb/Si(111) phases induced by C-60 adsorption. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 25:100503.
Chromcova Z; Tringides M C; Chvoj Z . 2013. Nucleation on a stepped surface with an Ehrlich-Schwobel barrier. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 25:265003.
Hershberger M T; Hupalo M; Thiel P A; Tringides M C . 2013. Growth of fcc(111) Dy multi-height islands on 6H-SiC(0001) graphene. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 25:225005.
Man K L; Tringides M C; Loy M M T; Altman M S . 2013. Superdiffusive Motion of the Pb Wetting Layer on the Si(111) Surface. Physical Review Letters. 110:036104.
2012Shao D H; Liu X J; Lu N; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Tringides M C; Thiel P A . 2012. Effect of oxygen on the stability of Ag islands on Si(111)-7 x 7. Surface Science. 606:1871-1878.
Belianinov A; Unal B; Tringides M C; Thiel P A . 2012. Creating nanoscale Ag patterns on the Si(111)-(root 3 x root 3)R30 degrees-Ag surface via guided self-assembly. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B. 30:050601.
Liu X J; Hupalo M; Wang C Z; Lu W C; Thiel P A; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2012. Growth morphology and thermal stability of metal islands on graphene. Physical Review B. 86:081414.
Liu X J; Wang C Z; Hupalo M; Lu W C; Tringides M C; Yao Y X; Ho K M . 2012. Metals on graphene: correlation between adatom adsorption behavior and growth morphology. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 14:9157-9166.