Assistant Scientist III
108 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-3376
- Templated synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles.
- Shape and size-selective sonochemical synthesis of nanostructured materials (metals, metal oxides and carbides, alloys nanoparticles, colloids, quantum dots, polymers, ceramics, hollow nanospheres, carbon nanotubes; nanoparticles on various inorganic supports, nanocomposites).
- Magnetic properties and feeding regimes of magnetotactic bacteria.
- Synthesis and properties of magnetic fluids.
- Effects of high-intensity ultrasound on structure and properties of novel materials.
- Sonochemistry and sonoluminescence in ionic liquids.
- Self-Assembled Monolayer coatings; materials design, modification of morphology and controllable agglomeration in granular materials, modification of polycrystalline superconductors.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Materials Chemistry, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2004
- M.Sc. Physical Chemistry, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel, 1998
- M.Sc. Physical and Chemical Studies of Metallurgical Processes, Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys, Moscow, Russia, 1992
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2007 - present Assistant Scientist II, US DOE Ames Laboratory
- 2005 - 2007 Post-doctoral Research Associate, US DOE Ames Laboratory
- 2004 - 2005 Post-doctoral Research Associate, University of South Carolina, Department of Chemical Engineering, Columbia, SC
- 2004 - present Visiting Scholar, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2002 - 2004 Research assistant, Superconductivity and Magnetism Low Temperature Laboratory University of South Carolina
- 1999 - 2004 Graduate research assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1999 Visiting Scholar, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1995 - 1998 Graduate research assistant, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel
- 1991 - 1992 Graduate research assistant, Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys, Moscow, Russia
- 1989 - 1991 Undergraduate research assistant, Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys, Moscow, Russia
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2007 Outstanding Mentor Award, SULI program (DOE)
- 2006 Outstanding Mentor Award, SULI program (DOE)
- 1995 - 1997 Milgat Eshcol – Fellowship of the Israeli Ministry of Science and Technology
- 1990 - 1992 Academic Council Award for Excellence in Study and Research, Institute of Steel and Alloys, Moscow
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2007Prozorov T; Mallapragada S K; Narasimhan B; Wang L J; Palo P; Nilsen-Hamilton M; Williams T J; Bazylinski D A; Prozorov R; Canfield P C . 2007. Protein-mediated synthesis of uniform superparamagnetic magnetite nanocrystals. Advanced Functional Materials. 17:951-957.