Development of theoretical understanding of the properties of disordered systems, with emphasis on electron and photon localization, photonic crystals, random lasers, metamaterials, left-handed materials, random magnetic systems, nonlinear systems, and amorphous semiconductors. The theoretical models developed are often quite sophisticated to accurately reflect the complexity of real materials.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Chicago, 1978
- M.S. Physics, University of Chicago, 1975
- B.S. Physics, University of Athens, Athens, Greece, 1974
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2007 - present Frances M. Craig Endowed Chair, Iowa State University
- 2005 - present Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1990 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1990 - 2005 Professor, Department of Physics and Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1986 - 1990 Associate Professor, Department of Physics and Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1984 - 1986 Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1981 - 1984 Research Physicist, Exxon Corporate Research Laboratories
- 1978 - 1981 Visit. Assistant Professor, Physics Department, Univ. of Virginia
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2005 Descartes Prize for Research, European Union
- 2002 Energy 100 Award and Science 100 Award, U. S. DOE., Humboldt Senior Research Award
- 2002 Fellow, Optical Society of America
- 2002 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2001 Iowa State University Outstanding Achievement in Research
- 2000 LAS Excellence in Research Award, Iowa State University
- 1992, 1995, 2000 Director of NATO ASI on Photonic Crystals
- 1992 Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Solid State Physics, DOE
- 1991 Fellow, American Physical Society
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Fang A A; Huang Z X; Koschny T; Soukoulis C M . 2011. Overcoming the losses of a split ring resonator array with gain. Optics Express. 19:12688-12699.
Zhao R; Koschny T; Economou E N; Soukoulis C M . 2011. Repulsive Casimir forces with finite-thickness slabs. Physical Review B. 83:075108.
Zhao R; Zhang L; Zhou J; Koschny T; Soukoulis C M . 2011. Conjugated gammadion chiral metamaterial with uniaxial optical activity and negative refractive index. Physical Review B. 83:035105.
Shen N H; Massaouti M; Gokkavas M; Manceau J M; Ozbay E; Kafesaki M; Koschny T; Tzortzakis S; Soukoulis C M . 2011. Optically Implemented Broadband Blueshift Switch in the Terahertz Regime. Physical Review Letters. 106:037403.
Guney D O; Koschny T; Soukoulis C M . 2011. Surface plasmon driven electric and magnetic resonators for metamaterials. Physical Review B. 83:045107.
Dai W; Soukoulis C M . 2010. Control of beaming angles via a subwavelength metallic slit surrounded by grooves. Physical Review B. 82:045427.
Soukoulis C M; Wegener M . 2010. Optical Metamaterials-More Bulky and Less Lossy. Science. 330:1633-1634.
Zhang L; Tassin P; Koschny T; Kurter C; Anlage S M; Soukoulis C M . 2010. Large group delay in a microwave metamaterial analog of electromagnetically induced transparency. Applied Physics Letters. 97:241904.