Development of theoretical understanding of the properties of disordered systems, with emphasis on electron and photon localization, photonic crystals, random lasers, metamaterials, left-handed materials, random magnetic systems, nonlinear systems, and amorphous semiconductors. The theoretical models developed are often quite sophisticated to accurately reflect the complexity of real materials.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Chicago, 1978
- M.S. Physics, University of Chicago, 1975
- B.S. Physics, University of Athens, Athens, Greece, 1974
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2007 - present Frances M. Craig Endowed Chair, Iowa State University
- 2005 - present Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1990 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1990 - 2005 Professor, Department of Physics and Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1986 - 1990 Associate Professor, Department of Physics and Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1984 - 1986 Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1981 - 1984 Research Physicist, Exxon Corporate Research Laboratories
- 1978 - 1981 Visit. Assistant Professor, Physics Department, Univ. of Virginia
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2005 Descartes Prize for Research, European Union
- 2002 Energy 100 Award and Science 100 Award, U. S. DOE., Humboldt Senior Research Award
- 2002 Fellow, Optical Society of America
- 2002 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2001 Iowa State University Outstanding Achievement in Research
- 2000 LAS Excellence in Research Award, Iowa State University
- 1992, 1995, 2000 Director of NATO ASI on Photonic Crystals
- 1992 Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Solid State Physics, DOE
- 1991 Fellow, American Physical Society
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Fietz C; Soukoulis C M . 2012. Scattering matrix of the boundary of a nonlocal metamaterial. Physical Review B. 86:085146.
Zhou J F; Chowdhury D R; Zhao R K; Azad A K; Chen H T; Soukoulis C M; Taylor A J; O'Hara J F . 2012. Terahertz chiral metamaterials with giant and dynamically tunable optical activity. Physical Review B. 86:035448.
Basharin A A; Kafesaki M; Economou E N; Soukoulis C M . 2012. Backward wave radiation from negative permittivity waveguides and its use for THz subwavelength imaging. Optics Express. 20:12752-12760.
Fang A A; Huang Z; Koschny T; Soukoulis C M . 2012. Loss compensated negative index material at optical wavelengths. Photonics and Nanostructures-Fundamentals and Applications. 10:276-280.
Reyes-Coronado A; Acosta M F; Merino R I; Orera V M; Kenanakis G; Katsarakis N; Kafesaki M; Mavidis C; de Abajo J G; Economou E N; Soukoulis C M . 2012. Self-organization approach for THz polaritonic metamaterials. Optics Express. 20:14663-14682.
Fietz C; Soukoulis C M . 2012. Finite element simulation of microphotonic lasing system. Optics Express. 20:11548-11560.
Zou Y H; Tassin P; Koschny T; Soukoulis C M . 2012. Interaction between graphene and metamaterials: split rings vs. wire pairs. Optics Express. 20:12198-12204.
Huang Z X; Koschny T; Soukoulis C M . 2012. Theory of Pump-Probe Experiments of Metallic Metamaterials Coupled to a Gain Medium. Physical Review Letters. 108:187402.
Tassin P; Koschny T; Kafesaki M; Soukoulis C M . 2012. A comparison of graphene, superconductors and metals as conductors for metamaterials and plasmonics. Nature Photonics. 6:259-264.