Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
A513 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-8706
- Fundamental studies, notably optically and electrically detected magnetic resonance (ODMR and EDMR, respectively) of π-conjugated materials & organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs).
- Our fundamental studies focus on the dynamics of polarons, singlet excitons, triplet excitons, bipolarons, and intrinsic defects, and their affect on thin film and OLED properties.
- (Combinatorial) fabrication and studies of OLEDs
- OLEDs are now emerging in commercial devices.
- The current challenges are to improve the lifetime and efficiency of the devices, in particular at high brightness.
- Development of structurally integrated organic light-emitting device (OLED)/luminescent chemical and biological sensors.
- This new sensor platform may revolutionize the science and technology of chemical and biological sensors, ultimately leading to very inexpensive (essentially disposable) multianalyte microsensor arrays.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1980
- M.S. (cum Laude) Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1974
- B.S. (cum Laude) Mathematics and Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1972
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 - present Chair, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2006 - present Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2004 - present Cofounder, Integrated Sensor Technologies, Inc. (ISTI), Ames, IA
- 1995 - present Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1991 - 1995 Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1985 - 1991 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physics and Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1982 - 1985 Research Fellow, Solid State Institute and Physics Department, The Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
- 1979 - 1982 Research Associate, Cond. Matter Phys., University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2004 Iowa State University Foundation Outstanding Achievement in Research Award
- 2004 Fellow of the American Physical Society
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2008Cai Y; Shinar R; Zhou Z; Shinar J . 2008. Multianalyte sensor array based on an organic light emitting diode platform. Sensors and Actuators B-Chemical. 134:727-735.
Ghosh D; Shinar R; Dalal V; Zhou Z; Shinar J . 2008. Amorphous and nanocrystalline p-i-n Si and Si,Ge photodetectors for structurally integrated O-2 sensors. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 354:2606-2609.
Shinar J; Shinar R . 2008. Organic light-emitting devices (OLEDs) and OLED-based chemical and biological sensors: an overview. Journal of Physics D-Applied Physics. 41:133001.
Tapalian H C; Langseth J; Chen Y; Anderegg J W; Shinar J . 2008. Ultrafast laser direct-write actuable microstructures. Applied Physics Letters. 93:243304.
Chen Y; Cai M; Xiao T; Hellerich E; Shinar J . 2008. Optically Detected Magnetic Resonance (ODMR) Studies of Trions in Organic Light-Emitting Materials and OLEDs, and Their Possible Relation to Long-Term OLED Degradation - art. no. 70510G. Organic Light Emitting Materials and Devices Xii. 7051:G510-G510666.
Wang J; Xu J; Goodman M D; Chen Y; Cai M; Shinar J; Lin Z Q . 2008. A simple biphasic route to water soluble dithiocarbamate functionalized quantum dots. Journal of Materials Chemistry. 18:3270-3274.
2007Tian Y; Gan Z Q; Zhou Z Q; Lynch D W; Shinar J; Kang J H; Park Q H . 2007. Spectrally narrowed edge emission from organic light-emitting diodes. Applied Physics Letters. 91:143504.
Montes V A; Perez-Bolivar C; Estrada L A; Shinar J; Anzenbacher P . 2007. Ultrafast dynamics of triplet excitons in Alq(3)-Bridge-Pt(II)porphyrin electroluminescent materials. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 129:12598-+.
Shinar J; Shinar R; Zhou Z . 2007. Combinatorial fabrication and screening of organic light-emitting device arrays. Applied Surface Science. 254:749-756.
Zhou Z; Shinar R; Allison A J; Shinar J . 2007. Enhanced photoluminescence of oxygen sensing films through doping with high dielectric constant particles. Advanced Functional Materials. 17:3530-3537.