Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
A513 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-8706
- Fundamental studies, notably optically and electrically detected magnetic resonance (ODMR and EDMR, respectively) of π-conjugated materials & organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs).
- Our fundamental studies focus on the dynamics of polarons, singlet excitons, triplet excitons, bipolarons, and intrinsic defects, and their affect on thin film and OLED properties.
- (Combinatorial) fabrication and studies of OLEDs
- OLEDs are now emerging in commercial devices.
- The current challenges are to improve the lifetime and efficiency of the devices, in particular at high brightness.
- Development of structurally integrated organic light-emitting device (OLED)/luminescent chemical and biological sensors.
- This new sensor platform may revolutionize the science and technology of chemical and biological sensors, ultimately leading to very inexpensive (essentially disposable) multianalyte microsensor arrays.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1980
- M.S. (cum Laude) Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1974
- B.S. (cum Laude) Mathematics and Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1972
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 - present Chair, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2006 - present Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2004 - present Cofounder, Integrated Sensor Technologies, Inc. (ISTI), Ames, IA
- 1995 - present Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1991 - 1995 Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1985 - 1991 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physics and Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1982 - 1985 Research Fellow, Solid State Institute and Physics Department, The Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
- 1979 - 1982 Research Associate, Cond. Matter Phys., University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2004 Iowa State University Foundation Outstanding Achievement in Research Award
- 2004 Fellow of the American Physical Society
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Liu R; Xu C; Biswas R; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2011. MoO(3) as combined hole injection layer and tapered spacer in combinatorial multicolor microcavity organic light emitting diodes. Applied Physics Letters. 99:093305.
Park J M; Gan Z Q; Leung W Y; Liu R; Ye Z; Constant K; Shinar J; Shinar R; Ho K M . 2011. Soft holographic interference lithography microlens for enhanced organic light emitting diode light extraction. Optics Express. 19:A786-A792.
Liu R; Gan Z Q; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2011. Transient electroluminescence spikes in small molecular organic light-emitting diodes. Physical Review B. 83:245302.
Xiao T; Cui W; Anderegg J; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2011. Simple routes for improving polythiophene: fullerene-based organic solar cells. Organic Electronics. 12:257-262.
Intemann J J; Mike J F; Cai M; Bose S; Xiao T; Mauldin T C; Roggers R A; Shinar J; Shinar R; Jeffries-El M . 2011. Synthesis and Characterization of Poly(9,9-dialkylfluorenevinylene benzobisoxazoles): New Solution-Processable Electron-Accepting Conjugated Polymers. Macromolecules. 44:248-255.
2010Nalwa K S; Cai Y K; Thoeming A L; Shinar J; Shinar R; Chaudhary S . 2010. Polythiophene-Fullerene Based Photodetectors: Tuning of Spectral Response and Application in Photoluminescence Based (Bio)Chemical Sensors. Advanced Materials. 22:4157.
Gan Z Q; Liu R; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2010. Transient electroluminescence dynamics in small molecular organic light-emitting diodes. Applied Physics Letters. 97:113301.
Cai Y; Smith A; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2010. Data analysis and aging in phosphorescent oxygen-based sensors. Sensors and Actuators B-Chemical. 146:14-22.
Vengasandra S; Cai Y K; Grewell D; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2010. Polypropylene CD-organic light-emitting diode biosensing platform. Lab on a Chip. 10:1051-1056.
2009Gan Z Q; Tian Y; Lynch D W; Kang J H; Park Q H; Shinar J . 2009. Spectrally narrowed edge emission from leaky waveguide modes in organic light-emitting diodes. Journal of Applied Physics. 106:094502.