Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
A513 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-8706
- Fundamental studies, notably optically and electrically detected magnetic resonance (ODMR and EDMR, respectively) of π-conjugated materials & organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs).
- Our fundamental studies focus on the dynamics of polarons, singlet excitons, triplet excitons, bipolarons, and intrinsic defects, and their affect on thin film and OLED properties.
- (Combinatorial) fabrication and studies of OLEDs
- OLEDs are now emerging in commercial devices.
- The current challenges are to improve the lifetime and efficiency of the devices, in particular at high brightness.
- Development of structurally integrated organic light-emitting device (OLED)/luminescent chemical and biological sensors.
- This new sensor platform may revolutionize the science and technology of chemical and biological sensors, ultimately leading to very inexpensive (essentially disposable) multianalyte microsensor arrays.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1980
- M.S. (cum Laude) Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1974
- B.S. (cum Laude) Mathematics and Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1972
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 - present Chair, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2006 - present Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2004 - present Cofounder, Integrated Sensor Technologies, Inc. (ISTI), Ames, IA
- 1995 - present Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1991 - 1995 Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1985 - 1991 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physics and Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1982 - 1985 Research Fellow, Solid State Institute and Physics Department, The Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
- 1979 - 1982 Research Associate, Cond. Matter Phys., University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2004 Iowa State University Foundation Outstanding Achievement in Research Award
- 2004 Fellow of the American Physical Society
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012Intemann J J; Hellerich E S; Tlach B C; Ewan M D; Barnes C A; Bhuwalka A; Cai M; Shinar J; Shinar R; Jeffries-El M . 2012. Altering the Conjugation Pathway for Improved Performance of Benzobisoxazole-Based Polymer Guest Emitters in Polymer Light-Emitting Diodes. Macromolecules. 45:6888-6897.
Cai M; Ye Z; Xiao T; Liu R; Chen Y; Mayer R W; Biswas R; Ho K M; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2012. Extremely Efficient Indium-Tin-Oxide-Free Green Phosphorescent Organic Light-Emitting Diodes. Advanced Materials. 24:4337-4342.
Shinar J . 2012. ORGANIC ELECTRONICS Organic thin-film magnetometers. Nature Materials. 11:663-664.
Xiao T; Cui W P; Cai M; Liu R; Anderegg J W; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2012. Thin air-plasma-treated alkali fluoride layers for improved hole extraction in copper phthalocyanine/C-70-based solar cells. Journal of Photonics for Energy. 2:021006.
2011Cai M; Xiao T; Chen Y; Hellerich E; Liu R; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2011. Effect of molecular weight on the efficiency of poly(N-vinylcarbazole)-based polymer light-emitting diodes. Applied Physics Letters. 99:203302.
Liu R; Ye Z; Park J M; Cai M; Chen Y; Ho K M; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2011. Microporous phase-separated films of polymer blends for enhanced outcoupling of light from OLEDs. Optics Express. 19:A1272-A1280.
Mike J F; Intemann J J; Cai M; Xiao T; Shinar R; Shinar J; Jeffries-El M . 2011. Efficient synthesis of benzobisazole terpolymers containing thiophene and fluorene. Polymer Chemistry. 2:2299-2305.
Cai M; Xiao T; Liu R; Chen Y; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2011. Indium-tin-oxide-free tris(8-hydroxyquinoline) Al organic light-emitting diodes with 80% enhanced power efficiency. Applied Physics Letters. 99:153303.
Cui W P; Liu R; Smith A; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2011. Luminescence Decay Times of PdOEP:PVK OLEDs Fabricated in Controlled O(2) and H(2)O Environments. Organic Semiconductors in Sensors and Bioelectronics IV. 8118:81180v.
Cai M; Xiao T; Hellerich E; Chen Y; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2011. High-Efficiency Solution-Processed Small Molecule Electrophosphorescent Organic Light-Emitting Diodes. Advanced Materials. 23:3590-3596.