Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
A513 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-8706
- Fundamental studies, notably optically and electrically detected magnetic resonance (ODMR and EDMR, respectively) of π-conjugated materials & organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs).
- Our fundamental studies focus on the dynamics of polarons, singlet excitons, triplet excitons, bipolarons, and intrinsic defects, and their affect on thin film and OLED properties.
- (Combinatorial) fabrication and studies of OLEDs
- OLEDs are now emerging in commercial devices.
- The current challenges are to improve the lifetime and efficiency of the devices, in particular at high brightness.
- Development of structurally integrated organic light-emitting device (OLED)/luminescent chemical and biological sensors.
- This new sensor platform may revolutionize the science and technology of chemical and biological sensors, ultimately leading to very inexpensive (essentially disposable) multianalyte microsensor arrays.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1980
- M.S. (cum Laude) Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1974
- B.S. (cum Laude) Mathematics and Physics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1972
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2008 - present Chair, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2006 - present Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2004 - present Cofounder, Integrated Sensor Technologies, Inc. (ISTI), Ames, IA
- 1995 - present Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1991 - 1995 Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy and Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1985 - 1991 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physics and Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1982 - 1985 Research Fellow, Solid State Institute and Physics Department, The Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
- 1979 - 1982 Research Associate, Cond. Matter Phys., University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2004 Iowa State University Foundation Outstanding Achievement in Research Award
- 2004 Fellow of the American Physical Society
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Lindemann W R; Xiao T; Wang W J; Berry J E; Anderson N A; Houk R S; Shinar R; Shinar J; Vaknin D . 2013. An X-ray fluorescence study on the segregation of Cs and I in an inverted organic solar cell. Organic Electronics. 14:3190-3194.
Xiao T; Fungura F; Cai M; Anderegg J W; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2013. Improved efficiency and stability of inverted polymer solar cells with a solution-processed BPhen interlayer and polystyrene beads. Organic Electronics. 14:2555-2563.
Hellerich E S; Intemann J J; Cai M; Liu R; Ewan M D; Tlach B C; Jeffries-El M; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2013. Fluorescent polymer guest:small molecule host solution-processed OLEDs. Journal of Materials Chemistry C. 1:5191-5199.
Intemann J J; Mike J F; Cai M; Barnes C A; Xiao T; Roggers R A; Shinar J; Shinar R; Jeffries-El M . 2013. Correction: Synthesis, characterization, and electroluminescence properties of poly(fluorenevinylene benzobisthiazoles). Journal of Polymer Science Part A-Polymer Chemistry. 51:2317-2317.
Liu R; Xiao T; Cui W P; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2013. Multiple approaches for enhancing all-organic electronics photoluminescent sensors: Simultaneous oxygen and pH monitoring. Analytica Chimica Acta. 778:70-78.
Intemann J J; Mike J F; Cai M; Barnes C A; Xiao T; Roggers R A; Shinar J; Shinar R; Jeffries-El M . 2013. Synthesis, Characterization, and Electroluminescence Properties of Poly(fluorenevinylene benzobisthiazoles). Journal of Polymer Science Part A-Polymer Chemistry. 51:916-923.
Xiao T; Cui W P; Cai M; Leung W; Anderegg J W; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2013. Inverted polymer solar cells with a solution-processed cesium halide interlayer. Organic Electronics. 14:267-272.
Pattnaik S; Xiao T; Shinar R; Shinar J; Dalal V L . 2013. Novel Hybrid Amorphous/Organic Tandem Junction Solar Cell. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics. 3:295-299.
2012Chen Y; Liu R; Cai M; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2012. Extremely strong room-temperature transient photocurrent-detected magnetic resonance in organic devices. Physical Review B. 86:235442.
Shinar J . 2012. Optically detected magnetic resonance studies of luminescence-quenching processes in pi-conjugated materials and organic light-emitting devices. Laser & Photonics Reviews. 6:767-786.