Ralph E. Napolitano
Ames Laboratory Associate and Associate Professor, Iowa State University
3273 Gilman Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-9101
- Fundamentals of physical metallurgy:
- DOT solidification
- Solid-liquid interfacial phenomena
- Theoretical, computational, and experimental investigations of interfacial behavior:
- Properties of crystal-melt interfaces
- Morphological stability and dynamics of structural transitions
- Dynamic control of solidification microstructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgy, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1996
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1994
- B.S. Materials Science & Engineering, University of Florida, 1989
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2005 - present Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2000 - 2005 Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University
- 1998 - present Associate Scientist, The Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 1998 NRC Post Doctoral Research Fellow, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- 1989 - 1992 Research Engineer, Babcock and Wilcox Research and Development Division
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Outstanding Young Faculty Research Award, Iowa State College of Engineering Award
- 2004 Excellence in Research Award, Iowa State Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- 2000 Council of Outstanding Young Engineering Alumni, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 1996 NRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Research Council
- 1996 Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award, Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society, Georgia Tech Chapter
- 1995 Student Leadership Scholarship for International Study, Georgia Tech Alumni Association
- 1995 SAIC Paper Competition Winner, Science Applications International Corporation
- 1995 ASM Leadership Award, ASM International, Atlanta Chapter
- 1994 NSF Traineeship for Composites Research, National Science Foundation
- 1994 TMS Symposium on Superalloys Scholarship, The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society
- 1993 Inducted into the Alpha Sigma Mu Honorary MSE Fraternity, The Georgia Tech Chapter of Alpha Sigma Mu
- 1989 Grodsky Outstanding Senior Scholarship, University of Florida, Department of Materials Science and Engineering
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Asta M; Beckermann C; Karma A; Kurz W; Napolitano R; Plapp M; Purdy G; Rappaz M; Trivedi R . 2009. Solidification microstructures and solid-state parallels: Recent developments, future directions. Acta Materialia. 57:941-971.
2008Zhou S H; Napolitano R E . 2008. Energetics of nonequilibrium solidification in Al-Sm. Physical Review B. 78:184111.
Zhou S H; Napolitano R E . 2008. Identification of the B33 martensite phase in Cu-Zr using first-principles and X-ray diffraction. Scripta Materialia. 59:1143-1146.
Zhou S H; Napolitano R E . 2008. Modeling of thermodynamic properties and phase equilibria for the Al-Sm binary system. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 39A:502-512.
2007Kramer M J; Mecco H; Dennis K W; Vargonova E; McCallum R W; Napolitano R E . 2007. Rapid solidification and metallic glass formation - Experimental and theoretical limits. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 353:3633-3639.
Zhou S H; Napolitano R E . 2007. The stability of Al11SM3 (Al4SM) phases in the Al-Sm binary system. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 38A:1145-1151.
Kalay Y E; Chumbley L S; Anderson I E; Napolitano R E . 2007. Characterization of hypereutectic Al-Si powders solidified under far-from equilibrium conditions. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 38A:1452-1457.
Zhou S H; Wang Y; Shi F G; Sommer F; Chen L Q; Liu Z K; Napolitano R E . 2007. Modeling of thermodynamic properties and phase equilibria for the Cu-Mg binary system. Journal of Phase Equilibria and Diffusion. 28:158-166.
Meco H; Napolitano R E; Chandra T; Tsuzaki K; Militzer M; Ravindran C . 2007. Non-equilibrium solute partitioning and microstructure formation in rapidly solidified Al-Sm alloys. THERMEC 2006, Pts 1-5. 539-543:2810-2815.