Ralph E. Napolitano
Ames Laboratory Associate and Associate Professor, Iowa State University
3273 Gilman Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-9101
- Fundamentals of physical metallurgy:
- DOT solidification
- Solid-liquid interfacial phenomena
- Theoretical, computational, and experimental investigations of interfacial behavior:
- Properties of crystal-melt interfaces
- Morphological stability and dynamics of structural transitions
- Dynamic control of solidification microstructures
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgy, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1996
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1994
- B.S. Materials Science & Engineering, University of Florida, 1989
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2005 - present Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2000 - 2005 Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University
- 1998 - present Associate Scientist, The Ames Laboratory
- 1996 - 1998 NRC Post Doctoral Research Fellow, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- 1989 - 1992 Research Engineer, Babcock and Wilcox Research and Development Division
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Outstanding Young Faculty Research Award, Iowa State College of Engineering Award
- 2004 Excellence in Research Award, Iowa State Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- 2000 Council of Outstanding Young Engineering Alumni, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 1996 NRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Research Council
- 1996 Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award, Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society, Georgia Tech Chapter
- 1995 Student Leadership Scholarship for International Study, Georgia Tech Alumni Association
- 1995 SAIC Paper Competition Winner, Science Applications International Corporation
- 1995 ASM Leadership Award, ASM International, Atlanta Chapter
- 1994 NSF Traineeship for Composites Research, National Science Foundation
- 1994 TMS Symposium on Superalloys Scholarship, The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society
- 1993 Inducted into the Alpha Sigma Mu Honorary MSE Fraternity, The Georgia Tech Chapter of Alpha Sigma Mu
- 1989 Grodsky Outstanding Senior Scholarship, University of Florida, Department of Materials Science and Engineering
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2014Wang T; Cullinan T E; Napolitano R E . 2014. A new method for measuring the thermodynamic properties of undercooled liquid and amorphous Cu-Zr alloys. Acta Materialia. 62:188-196.
2013Royer Z L; Tackes C; LeSar R; Napolitano R E . 2013. Coil optimization for electromagnetic levitation using a genetic like algorithm. Journal of Applied Physics. 113:214901.
2012Wang T; Napolitano R E . 2012. A Phase-Field Model for Phase Transformations in Glass-Forming Alloys. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 43A:2662-2668.
2011Fang X W; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Yao Y X; Mendelev M I; Ding Z J; Napolitano R E; Ho K M . 2011. Spatially Resolved Distribution Function and the Medium-Range Order in Metallic Liquid and Glass. Scientific Reports. 1:194.
Hao S G; Wang C Z; Li M Z; Napolitano R E; Ho K M . 2011. Dynamic arrest and glass formation induced by self-aggregation of icosahedral clusters in Zr(1-x)Cu(x) alloys. Physical Review B. 84:064203.
Kalay I; Kramer M J; Napolitano R E . 2011. High-Accuracy X-Ray Diffraction Analysis of Phase Evolution Sequence During Devitrification of Cu50Zr50 Metallic Glass. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 42A:1144-1153.
2010Kramer M J; Mendelev M I; Napolitano R E . 2010. In Situ Observation of Antisite Defect Formation during Crystal Growth. Physical Review Letters. 105:245501.
Hao S G; Wang C Z; Li M Z; Napolitano R E; Mendelev M I; Ho K M . 2010. Prediction of cooling rate dependent ordering in metallic glass transition using a two-state model. Computational Materials Science. 49:615-618.
Yao Y X; Napolitano R; Wang C Z; Ho K M . 2010. Thermodynamic limits of crystallization and the prediction of glass formation tendency. Physical Review B. 81:212202.
Zhou S H; Napolitano R E . 2010. Phase stability for the Cu-Zr system: First-principles, experiments and solution-based modeling. Acta Materialia. 58:2186-2196.