Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Hao S G; Kramer M J; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Nandi S; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; Wessels V; Sahu K K; Kelton K F; Hyers R W; Canepari S M; Rogers J R . 2009. Experimental and ab initio structural studies of liquid Zr2Ni. Physical Review B. 79:104206.
Mendelev M I; Ott R T; Kramer M J; Sordelet D J . 2009. Determining strain in amorphous alloys: Uncertainties with analyzing structural changes during deformation. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:023509.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Ott R T; Sordelet D J . 2009. Molecular dynamics simulation of diffusion in supercooled Cu-Zr alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 89:109-126.
2008Tang Z H; Thom A J; Kramer M J; Akinc M . 2008. Characterization and oxidation behavior of silicide coating on multiphase Mo-Si-B alloy. Intermetallics. 16:1125-1133.
Rui X; Shield J E; Sun Z; Skomski R; Xu Y; Sellmyer D J; Kramer M J; Wu Y Q . 2008. Intra-cluster exchange-coupled high-performance permanent magnets. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 320:2576-2583.
Tang Z H; Kramer M J; Akinc M . 2008. Evaluation of phase equilibria in the Nb-rich portion of Nb-B system. Intermetallics. 16:255-261.
Kramer M J; Xu M; Ye Y Y; Sordelet D J; Morris J R . 2008. Phase stability and transformations in the Zr2NiCu1-x amorphous system. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 39A:1847-1856.
Sordelet D J; Ott R T; Li M Z; Wang S Y; Wang C Z; Besser M F; Liu A C Y; Kramer M J . 2008. Structure of ZrxPt100-x (73 <= x <= 77) metallic Glasses. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 39A:1908-1916.
Shin K Y; Laverock J; Wu Y Q; Condron C L; Toney M F; Dugdale S B; Kramer M J; Fisher I R . 2008. Charge density wave formation in R2Te5 (R=Nd, Sm, and Gd). Physical Review B. 77:165101.
Rong C B; Poudyal N; Chaubey G S; Nandwana V; Liu Y; Wu Y Q; Kramer M J; Kozlov M E; Baughman R H; Liu J P . 2008. High thermal stability of carbon-coated L1(0)-FePt nanoparticles prepared by salt-matrix annealing. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:07E131.