Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Li M; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2009. Structural heterogeneity and medium-range order in ZrxCu100-x metallic glasses. Physical Review B. 80:184201.
Yang X Y; Ye Y Y; Kramer M J; Sordelet D J . 2009. Influence of oxygen on the structure and devitrification pathways in Zr66.7Ni33.3 and Zr66.7Cu33.3 amorphous systems. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 484:914-919.
Ott R T; Mendelev M I; Besser M F; Kramer M J; Almer J; Sordelet D J . 2009. Strain dependence of peak widths of reciprocal- and real-space distribution functions of metallic glasses from in situ x-ray scattering and molecular dynamics simulations. Physical Review B. 80:064101.
Ma D; Stoica A D; Wang X L; Lu Z P; Xu M; Kramer M . 2009. Efficient local atomic packing in metallic glasses and its correlation with glass-forming ability. Physical Review B. 80:014202.
McCallum R W; Yan J Q; Rustan G E; Mun E D; Singh Y; Das S; Nath R; Bud'ko S L; Dennis K W; Johnston D C; Canfield P C; Kramer M J; Kreyssig A; Lograsso T A; Goldman A I . 2009. In situ high energy x-ray synchrotron diffraction study of the synthesis and stoichiometry of LaFeAsO and LaFeAsO1-xFy. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:123912.
Cook B A; Kramer M J; Harringa J L; Khan M; Chung D Y; Kanatzidis M G . 2009. Analysis of Nanostructuring in High Figure-of-Merit Ag1-xPbmSbTe2+m Thermoelectric Materials. Advanced Functional Materials. 19:1254-1259.
Wu Y Q; Tang W; Kramer M J; Dennis K W; Oster N; McCallum R W; Anderson I E . 2009. Correlation of the energy product with evolution of the nanostructure in the Y,Dy,Nd-(Fe, Co)-B magnetic alloy. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:07a720.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Ott R T; Sordelet D J; Yagodin D; Popel P . 2009. Development of suitable interatomic potentials for simulation of liquid and amorphous Cu-Zr alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 89:967-987.
Wang S Y; Kramer M J; Xu M; Wu S; Hao S G; Sordelet D J; Ho K M; Wang C Z . 2009. Experimental and ab initio molecular dynamics simulation studies of liquid Al60Cu40 alloy. Physical Review B. 79:144205.
Tang W; Wu Y Q; Dennis K W; Oster N T; Kramer M J; Anderson I E; McCallum R W . 2009. Magnetic properties and microstructure of gas atomized MRE2(Fe,Co)(14)B powder with ZrC addition (MRE=Nd plus Y plus Dy). Journal of Applied Physics. 105:07a728.