Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Tang W; Wu Y Q; Oster N T; Dennis K W; Kramer M J; Anderson I E; McCallum R W . 2010. Improved energy product in grained aligned and sintered MRE2Fe14B magnets (MRE=Y plus Dy plus Nd). Journal of Applied Physics. 107:09a728.
Mendeleva M I; Kramer M J . 2010. Reliability of methods of computer simulation of structure of amorphous alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:073505.
Rong C B; Zhang Y; Poudyal N; Xiong X Y; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2010. Fabrication of bulk nanocomposite magnets via severe plastic deformation and warm compaction. Applied Physics Letters. 96:102513.
Patterson M M; Cochran A; Ferina J; Rui X; Zimmerman T A; Sun Z; Kramer M J; Sellmyer D J; Shield J E . 2010. Early stages of direct L1(0) FePt nanocluster formation: The effects of plasma characteristics. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B. 28:273-276.
Hao S G; Wang C Z; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2010. Microscopic origin of slow dynamics at the good glass forming composition range in Zr1-xCux metallic liquids. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:053511.
Huang L; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2010. Short- and medium-range order in amorphous Zr2Ni metallic alloy. Physical Review B. 81:094118.
Ray P K; Akinc M; Kramer M J . 2010. Applications of an extended Miedema's model for ternary alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 489:357-361.
Shin K Y; Ru N; Fisher I R; Condron C L; Toney M F; Wu Y Q; Kramer M J . 2010. Observation of two separate charge density wave transitions in Gd2Te5 via transmission electron microscopy and high-resolution X-ray diffraction. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 489:332-335.
Huang L; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Ho K M . 2010. Atomic size and chemical effects on the local order of Zr2M (M=Co, Ni, Cu, and Ag) binary liquids. Physical Review B. 81:014108.
Xu M; Ye Y Y; Morris J R; Sordelet D J; Kramer M J . 2010. In situ observation of thermal expansion of tetragonal C11b phase in Zr2Cu(1-x)Pdx alloys. Intermetallics. 18:8-13.