Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Ray P K; Brammer T; Ye Y Y; Akinc M; Kramer M J . 2010. A multi-stage hierarchical approach to alloy design. JOM. 62:25-29.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Ott R T; Sordelet D J; Besser M F; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; Wessels V; Sahu K K; Kelton K F; Hyers R W; Canepari S; Rogers J R . 2010. Experimental and computer simulation determination of the structural changes occurring through the liquid-glass transition in Cu-Zr alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 90:3795-3815.
Kalay Y E; Chumbley L S; Kramer M J; Anderson I E . 2010. Local structure in marginal glass forming Al-Sm alloy. Intermetallics. 18:1676-1682.
Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Rong C B; Liu J P . 2010. Microstructure and intergranular diffusion in exchange-coupled Sm-Co/Fe nanocomposites. Applied Physics Letters. 97:032506.
Xing Q; Kramer M J; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2010. Influence of surface oxidation on transmission electron microscopy characterization of Fe-Ga alloys. Materials Characterization. 61:598-602.
Ji C X; Huang M L; Kramer M J; Zhang C; Wu K S; Yang Y; Chang Y A . 2010. Composition dependent phase transformation of Pt0.5-x Mn0.5+x from A1 to L1(0) phase. Applied Physics A-Materials Science & Processing. 99:471-475.
Tang W; Wu Y Q; Oster N T; Dennis K W; Kramer M J; Anderson I E; McCallum R W . 2010. Improved energy product in grained aligned and sintered MRE2Fe14B magnets (MRE=Y plus Dy plus Nd). Journal of Applied Physics. 107:09a728.
Mendeleva M I; Kramer M J . 2010. Reliability of methods of computer simulation of structure of amorphous alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:073505.
Rong C B; Zhang Y; Poudyal N; Xiong X Y; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2010. Fabrication of bulk nanocomposite magnets via severe plastic deformation and warm compaction. Applied Physics Letters. 96:102513.
Patterson M M; Cochran A; Ferina J; Rui X; Zimmerman T A; Sun Z; Kramer M J; Sellmyer D J; Shield J E . 2010. Early stages of direct L1(0) FePt nanocluster formation: The effects of plasma characteristics. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B. 28:273-276.