Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Rong C B; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2011. Correlation between microstructure and first-order magnetization reversal in the SmCo5/alpha-Fe nanocomposite magnets. Physics Letters A. 375:1329-1332.
Wessels V; Gangopadhyay A K; Sahu K K; Hyers R W; Canepari S M; Rogers J R; Kramer M J; Goldman A I; Robinson D; Lee J W; Morris J R; Kelton K F . 2011. Rapid chemical and topological ordering in supercooled liquid Cu46Zr54. Physical Review B. 83:094116.
Shand P M; Schmitter D C; Rojas G; Shield J E; Goertzen J; Meyer A L; Pekarek T M; Kramer M J; Leslie-Pelecky D L . 2011. Correlating structure with ferromagnetism in melt-spun Gd100-xFex. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 509:3000-3005.
Srirangam P; Kramer M J; Shankar S . 2011. Effect of strontium on liquid structure of Al-Si hypoeutectic alloys using high-energy X-ray diffraction. Acta Materialia. 59:503-513.
2010Kalay Y E; Yeager C; Chumbley L S; Kramer M J; Anderson I E . 2010. Initial crystallization in a nanostructured Al-Sm rare earth alloy. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 356:1416-1424.
Kramer M J; Mendelev M I; Napolitano R E . 2010. In Situ Observation of Antisite Defect Formation during Crystal Growth. Physical Review Letters. 105:245501.
Wang Y M; Ott R T; Hamza A V; Besser M F; Almer J; Kramer M J . 2010. Achieving Large Uniform Tensile Ductility in Nanocrystalline Metals. Physical Review Letters. 105:215502.
Rieken J R; Anderson I E; Kramer M J . 2010. Grand Prize Gas-Atomized Chemical Reservoir Ods Ferritic Stainless Steels. International Journal of Powder Metallurgy. 46:9-12.
Rieken J R; Anderson I E; Kramer M J . 2010. Microstructure Evolution of Gas-Atomized Iron-Base Ods Alloys. International Journal of Powder Metallurgy. 46:17-31.
Becker C A; Kramer M J . 2010. Atomistic comparison of volume-dependent melt properties from four models of aluminum. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering. 18:074001.