Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Wu S; Kramer M J; Fang X W; Wang S Y; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Ding Z J; Chen L Y . 2011. Structural and dynamical properties of liquid Cu(80)Si(20) alloy studied experimentally and by ab initio molecular dynamics simulations. Physical Review B. 84:134208.
Reiken J R; Anderson I E; Kramer M J . 2011. Innovative Powder Processing of Oxide Dispersion Strengthened (ODS) Ferritic Stainless Steels. Advances in Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Material — 2011. 1:31.
Liu A C Y; Paganin D M; Bourgeois L; Nakashima P N H; Ott R T; Kramer M J . 2011. Quantitative microscopic measurement of void distribution in shear bands in Zr(66.7)Cu(33.3) metallic glass. Physical Review B. 84:094201.
Rong C B; Zhang Y; Poudyal N; Szlufarska I; Hebert R J; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2011. Self-nanoscaling of the soft magnetic phase in bulk SmCo/Fe nanocomposite magnets. Journal of Materials Science. 46:6065-6074.
Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Banerjee D; Takeuchi I; Liu J P . 2011. Transmission electron microscopy study on Co/Fe interdiffusion in SmCo(5)/Fe and Sm(2)Co(7)/Fe/Sm(2)Co(7) thin films. Journal of Applied Physics. 110:053914.
Huang L; Fang X W; Wang C Z; Kramer M J; Ding Z J; Ho K M . 2011. Medium-range icosahedral order in quasicrystal-forming Zr2Pd binary metallic glass. Applied Physics Letters. 98:231906.
Mauro N A; Wessels V; Bendert J C; Klein S; Gangopadhyay A K; Kramer M J; Hao S G; Rustan G E; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; Kelton K F . 2011. Short- and medium-range order in Zr80Pt20 liquids. Physical Review B. 83:184109.
Kalay I; Kramer M J; Napolitano R E . 2011. High-Accuracy X-Ray Diffraction Analysis of Phase Evolution Sequence During Devitrification of Cu50Zr50 Metallic Glass. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions a-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 42A:1144-1153.
Rong C B; Zhang Y; Poudyal N; Wang D P; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2011. Bulk SmCo5/alpha-Fe nanocomposite permanent magnets fabricated by mould-free Joule-heating compaction. Journal of Applied Physics. 109:07a735.
Wu Y Q; Tang W; Dennis K W; Oster N; McCallum R W; Anderson I E; Kramer M J . 2011. Effective grain pinning revealed by nanoscale electron tomography. Journal of Applied Physics. 109:07a705.