Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012Hwang J; Melgarejo Z H; Kalay Y E; Kalay I; Kramer M J; Stone D S; Voyles P M . 2012. Nanoscale Structure and Structural Relaxation in Zr50Cu45Al5 Bulk Metallic Glass. Physical Review Letters. 108:195505.
Rong C B; Wu Y Q; Wang D P; Zhang Y; Poudyal N; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2012. Effect of pressure loading rate on the crystallographic texture of NdFeB nanocrystalline magnets. Journal of Applied Physics. 111:07a717.
Oster N T; Cavanaugh D T; Dennis K W; Kramer M J; McCallum R W; Anderson I E . 2012. Effects of Ag additions on melt-spun RE2Fe14B microstructure and texture. Journal of Applied Physics. 111:07a723.
Poudyal N; Rong C B; Zhang Y; Wang D P; Kramer M J; Hebert R J; Liu J P . 2012. Self-nanoscaling in FeCo alloys prepared via severe plastic deformation. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 521:55-59.
Tang W; Dennis K W; Kramer M J; Anderson I E; McCallum R W . 2012. Studies of sintered MRE-Fe-B magnets by DyF3 addition or diffusion treatment (MRE = Nd+Y+Dy). Journal of Applied Physics. 111:07a736.
Golkar F; Kramer M J; Zhang Y; McCallum R W; Skomski R; Sellmyer D J; Shield J E . 2012. Structure and magnetic properties of Co-W clusters produced by inert gas condensation. Journal of Applied Physics. 111:07b524.
Kalay Y E; Kalay I; Hwang J; Voyles P M; Kramer M J . 2012. Local chemical and topological order in Al-Tb and its role in controlling nanocrystal formation. Acta Materialia. 60:994-1003.
Wessels V; Gangopadhyay A K; Sahu K K; Hyers R W; Canepari S M; Rogers J R; Kramer M J; Goldman A I; Robinson D; Lee J W; Morris J R; Kelton K F . 2012. Reply to "Comment on 'Rapid chemical and topological ordering in supercooled liquid Cu46Zr54'". Physical Review B. 85:066102.
2011Fang X W; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Yao Y X; Mendelev M I; Ding Z J; Napolitano R E; Ho K M . 2011. Spatially Resolved Distribution Function and the Medium-Range Order in Metallic Liquid and Glass. Scientific Reports. 1:194.
Zhang H W; Peng S; Rong C B; Liu J P; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Sun S H . 2011. Chemical synthesis of hard magnetic SmCo nanoparticles. Journal of Materials Chemistry. 21:16873-16876.