Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012Wu S; Kramer M J; Fang X W; Wang S Y; Wang C Z; Ho K M; Ding Z J; Chen L Y . 2012. Icosahedral short-range order in amorphous Cu80Si20 by ab initio molecular dynamics simulation study. Intermetallics. 30:122-126.
Ray P K; Ye Y Y; Akinc M; Kramer M J . 2012. Effect of Nb and W substitutions on the stability of the A15 Mo3Si phase. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 537:65-70.
Rong C B; Poudyal N; Liu X B; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2012. High temperature magnetic properties of SmCo5/alpha-Fe(Co) bulk nanocomposite magnets. Applied Physics Letters. 101:152401.
Wang D P; Poudyal N; Rong C B; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2012. Exchange-coupled nanoscale SmCo/NdFeB hybrid magnets. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 324:2836-2839.
Mukherjee P; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Lewis L H; Shield J E . 2012. L1(0) structure formation in slow-cooled Fe-Au nanoclusters (vol 100, 211911, 2012). Applied Physics Letters. 101:109901.
Rieken J R; Anderson I E; Kramer M J; Odette G R; Stergar E; Haney E . 2012. Reactive gas atomization processing for Fe-based ODS alloys. Journal of Nuclear Materials. 428:65-75.
Kramer M J; McCallum R W; Anderson I A; Constantinides S . 2012. Prospects for Non-Rare Earth Permanent Magnets for Traction Motors and Generators. JOM. 64:752-763.
Sheng H W; Ma E; Kramer M J . 2012. Relating Dynamic Properties to Atomic Structure in Metallic Glasses. JOM. 64:856-881.
Giraldo-Gallo P; Lee H; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Beasley M R; Geballe T H; Fisher I R . 2012. Field-tuned superconductor-insulator transition in BaPb1-xBixO3. Physical Review B. 85:174503.
Mukherjee P; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Lewis L H; Shield J E . 2012. L1(0) structure formation in slow-cooled Fe-Au nanoclusters. Applied Physics Letters. 100:211911.