Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012Mukherjee P; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Lewis L H; Shield J E . 2012. L1(0) structure formation in slow-cooled Fe-Au nanoclusters (vol 100, 211911, 2012). Applied Physics Letters. 101:109901.
Rieken J R; Anderson I E; Kramer M J; Odette G R; Stergar E; Haney E . 2012. Reactive gas atomization processing for Fe-based ODS alloys. Journal of Nuclear Materials. 428:65-75.
Kramer M J; McCallum R W; Anderson I A; Constantinides S . 2012. Prospects for Non-Rare Earth Permanent Magnets for Traction Motors and Generators. JOM. 64:752-763.
Sheng H W; Ma E; Kramer M J . 2012. Relating Dynamic Properties to Atomic Structure in Metallic Glasses. JOM. 64:856-881.
Giraldo-Gallo P; Lee H; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Beasley M R; Geballe T H; Fisher I R . 2012. Field-tuned superconductor-insulator transition in BaPb1-xBixO3. Physical Review B. 85:174503.
Mukherjee P; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Lewis L H; Shield J E . 2012. L1(0) structure formation in slow-cooled Fe-Au nanoclusters. Applied Physics Letters. 100:211911.
Hwang J; Melgarejo Z H; Kalay Y E; Kalay I; Kramer M J; Stone D S; Voyles P M . 2012. Nanoscale Structure and Structural Relaxation in Zr50Cu45Al5 Bulk Metallic Glass. Physical Review Letters. 108:195505.
Rong C B; Wu Y Q; Wang D P; Zhang Y; Poudyal N; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2012. Effect of pressure loading rate on the crystallographic texture of NdFeB nanocrystalline magnets. Journal of Applied Physics. 111:07a717.
Oster N T; Cavanaugh D T; Dennis K W; Kramer M J; McCallum R W; Anderson I E . 2012. Effects of Ag additions on melt-spun RE2Fe14B microstructure and texture. Journal of Applied Physics. 111:07a723.
Poudyal N; Rong C B; Zhang Y; Wang D P; Kramer M J; Hebert R J; Liu J P . 2012. Self-nanoscaling in FeCo alloys prepared via severe plastic deformation. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 521:55-59.