Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2007Dahlborg U; Besser M; Calvo-Dahlborg M; Cuello G; Dewhurst C D; Kramer M J; Morris J R; Sordelet D J . 2007. Structure of molten Al-Si alloys. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 353:3005-3010.
Morris J R; Xu M; Ye Y Y; Sordelet D J; Kramer M J . 2007. Theoretical and experimental studies of devitrification pathways in the Zr2Cu1-xPdx metallic glass system. Acta Materialia. 55:5901-5909.
Mendelev M I; Rehbein D K; Ott R T; Kramer M J; Sordelet D J . 2007. Computer simulation and experimental study of elastic properties of amorphous Cu-Zr alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 102:093518.
Rong C B; Nandwana V; Poudyal N; Liu J P; Saito T; Wu Y Q; Kramer M J . 2007. Bulk FePt/Fe3Pt nanocomposite magnets prepared by spark plasma sintering. Journal of Applied Physics. 101:09K515.
Tang W; Wu Y Q; Dennis K W; Kramer M J; Anderson I E; McCallum R W . 2007. Comparison of microstructure and magnetic properties of gas-atomized and melt-spun MRE-Fe-Co-M-B (MRE = Y+Dy+Nd, M = Zr+TiC). Journal of Applied Physics. 101:09K510.
Ma D; Stoica A D; Yang L; Wang X L; Lu Z P; Neuefeind J; Kramer M J; Richardson J W; Proffen T . 2007. Nearest-neighbor coordination and chemical ordering in multicomponent bulk metallic glasses. Applied Physics Letters. 90:211908.
Cook B A; Kramer M J; Wei X; Harringa J L; Levin E M . 2007. Nature of the cubic to rhombohedral structural transformation in (AgSbTe2)(15)(GeTe)(85) thermoelectric material. Journal of Applied Physics. 101:053715.
Kramer M J; Ott R T; Sordelet D J . 2007. Anisotropic atomic structure in a homogeneously deformed metallic glass. Journal of Materials Research. 22:382-388.
Kramer M J . 2007. A strategy for rapid analysis of the variations in the reduced distribution function of liquid metals and metallic glasses. Journal of Applied Crystallography. 40:77-86.
Dolinsek J; McGuiness P J; Klanjsek M; Smiljanic I; Smontara A; Zijlstra E S; Bose S K; Fisher I R; Kramer M J; Canfield P C . 2007. Reply to "Comment on 'Extrinsic origin of the insulating behavior of polygrain icosahedral Al-Pd-Re quasicrystals'". Physical Review B. 76:216202.