Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2008Wang S Y; Wang C Z; Li M Z; Huang L; Ott R T; Kramer M J; Sordelet D J; Ho K M . 2008. Short- and medium-range order in a Zr73Pt27 glass: Experimental and simulation studies. Physical Review B. 78:184204.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Becker C A; Asta M . 2008. Analysis of semi-empirical interatomic potentials appropriate for simulation of crystalline and liquid Al and Cu. Philosophical Magazine. 88:1723-1750.
2007Cook B A; Wei X Z; Harringa J L; Kramer M J . 2007. In-situ elevated-temperature TEM study of (AgSbTe2)(15)(GeTe)(85). Journal of Materials Science. 42:7643-7646.
Dahlborg U; Besser M; Calvo-Dahlborg M; Janssen S; Juranyi F; Kramer M J; Morris J R; Sordelet D J . 2007. Diffusion of Cu in AlCu alloys of different composition by quasielastic neutron scattering. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 353:3295-3299.
Sordelet D; Yang X Y; Rozhkova E; Besser M; Kramer M . 2007. Metastable phase formation in rapidly quenched Zr80Pt20 alloys: Linkage to oxygen. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 353:3439-3443.
Kramer M J; Mecco H; Dennis K W; Vargonova E; McCallum R W; Napolitano R E . 2007. Rapid solidification and metallic glass formation - Experimental and theoretical limits. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 353:3633-3639.
Dahlborg U; Besser M; Calvo-Dahlborg M; Cuello G; Dewhurst C D; Kramer M J; Morris J R; Sordelet D J . 2007. Structure of molten Al-Si alloys. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 353:3005-3010.
Morris J R; Xu M; Ye Y Y; Sordelet D J; Kramer M J . 2007. Theoretical and experimental studies of devitrification pathways in the Zr2Cu1-xPdx metallic glass system. Acta Materialia. 55:5901-5909.
Mendelev M I; Rehbein D K; Ott R T; Kramer M J; Sordelet D J . 2007. Computer simulation and experimental study of elastic properties of amorphous Cu-Zr alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 102:093518.
Rong C B; Nandwana V; Poudyal N; Liu J P; Saito T; Wu Y Q; Kramer M J . 2007. Bulk FePt/Fe3Pt nanocomposite magnets prepared by spark plasma sintering. Journal of Applied Physics. 101:09K515.