Matthew J. Kramer
225 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-0276
- Materials properties of glass forming metallic alloys
- High temperature intermetallics
- High temperature superconductors
- Ceramics and silicates with emphasis on electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
- Utilizing new characterization techniques to investigate the dynamics of phase transformations
- Computer modeling of physical systems
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1998
- M.S. University of Rochester, 1983
- B.S. University of Rochester, 1979
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2001 - present Group Leader, Materials Characterization/Metal & Ceramic Sciences Program
- 1996 - present Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
- 1989 - 1995 Associate Scientist, Metallurgy and Ceramics Division, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1998 Co-recipient of the Materials Chemistry Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for “Surface Properties of Quasicrystals”
- 1997 Co-recipient of R & D 100, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies in Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1995 Co-recipient of the Department of Energy Materials Science Award for Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Golkar F; Kramer M J; Zhang Y; Skomski R; Sellmyer D J; Shield J E . 2013. Solubility extension and phase formation in gas-condensed Co-W nanoclusters. Journal of Nanoparticle Research. 15:1638.
Liu A C Y; Neish M J; Stokol G; Buckley G A; Smillie L A; de Jonge M D; Ott R T; Kramer M J; Bourgeois L . 2013. Systematic Mapping of Icosahedral Short-Range Order in a Melt-Spun Zr36Cu64 Metallic Glass. Physical Review Letters. 110:205505.
Dahlborg U; Besser M; Kramer M J; Morris J R; Calvo-Dahlborg M . 2013. Atomic dynamics in molten AlCu alloys of different compositions and at different temperatures by cold neutron scattering. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 412:50-60.
Calvo-Dahlborg M; Popel P S; Kramer M J; Besser M; Morris J R; Dahlborg U . 2013. Superheat-dependent microstructure of molten Al-Si alloys of different compositions studied by small angle neutron scattering. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 550:9-22.
Dahlborg U; Kramer M J; Besser M; Morris J R; Calvo-Dahlborg M . 2013. Structure of molten Al and eutectic Al-Si alloy studied by neutron diffraction. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 361:63-69.
Gao T R; Wu Y Q; Fackler S; Kierzewski I; Zhang Y; Mehta A; Kramer M J; Takeuchi I . 2013. Combinatorial exploration of rare-earth-free permanent magnets: Magnetic and microstructural properties of Fe-Co-W thin films. Applied Physics Letters. 102:022419.
Rong C B; Wang D P; Nguyen V V; Daniil M; Willard M A; Zhang Y; Kramer M J; Liu J P . 2013. Effect of selective Co addition on magnetic properties of Nd-2(FeCo)(14)B/alpha-Fe nanocomposite magnets. Journal of Physics D-Applied Physics. 46:045001.
2012Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Hao S G; Ho K M; Wang C Z . 2012. Development of interatomic potentials appropriate for simulation of liquid and glass properties of NiZr2 alloy. Philosophical Magazine. 92:4454-4469.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Hao S G; Ho K M; Wang C Z . 2012. Computer simulation of the structure of MZr2 liquid and amorphous alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 92:4098-4112.
Tang W; Xing Q F; Dennis K W; Oster N T; Kramer M J; Anderson I E; McCallum R W . 2012. Anisotropic Hot-Deformed MRE-Fe-B Magnets With Zn Powder Addition (MRE = Nd plus Y plus Dy). IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 48:3147-3149.